Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coming to terms with my mam gone

• 22-07-2010 4:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am very suprised I am even writing this thread to be honest. My mam passed away a year and 3months ago and honestly, I dont think I have even begun to come to terms with it.

She was my best friend and the person I felt closest to in the world. I was her only daughter. And I was only 22 when she passed away. Im 24 this week. She was in her 50's.
    She lost a long and courageous battle with cancer.

Ever since she passed away I have frozen it out. I cant bring myself to think about her or talk about her. Its just not possible. The level of pain knowing she is gone forever is one I cant cope with. So I plod along my daily and pretend it didnt happen.

I know this is a crap way of coping. Or not coping. But I dont know how to change it.

Anyway, this has begun something that I couldnt sustain, and I have been dreaming of her every night for the last 2 weeks. Why? She appears in my dreams every night. Alive and well. And we do nice things together in the dreams. But when I wake up, its like the most profound feeling of loss because I know none of it was real and it was just a dream.

Please if somebody could give me some tips on how to deal with this would be great. Also, ever since she died I have severe anxiety that my dad will die too :( It keeps me up at night worrying about him as I live in a different country.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks for listening xxxxx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Op,

I really feel for you. I lost my mum to cancer last Nov. She was only 66 and i still miss her everyday. However, while I am still grieving and will continue to do so, we were lucky enough to be able to talk about her impending death before she died. She told me that I would miss her dreadfully but not to let it ruin my life, to grieve and to always hold her in my heart and thoughts but also to know that she is no longer in pain and is looking over me.

I can't really explain it but it helps to know that she was ready for death and that she went happy in the knowledge that all pain was over. There is no way she could be alive today . Sorry I can't explain it better but I hope it helps a little bit.

Stay strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Op,

Your grief is asking for some attention, and pay heed!

If you don't you will pay for it.

There is no way of avoiding this hurt. It will come and find you.

Its not uncommon to get stuck or regress into one if the seven stages of grief. Sounds like you are still denying that she is gone.

Do you think you might need some help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

This sounds so familiar OP. My dad is gone for 1 year and 5 months, and while I don't dwell on it all the time, I do find that sometimes, if I think of the horror of the last week of his life, I just can't cope at all, and I'm sobbing like it has just happened all over again. He also had cancer, for many years and having to say goodbye was horrific.

Afterwards, I could not cope with anybody being ill, if one of my baby neice or nephews was sick, I convinced myself they'd just die too, even now, if my mam has a chest infection, I think "is this cancer starting with her?" I put it down to the fact that I just could NOT cope with going through it again, so I desperately hope and pray I won't have to.

Now I take comfort from my dad being in my dreams, its a veryfrequent occurence and its so lovely that he's just there, and we're just doing our normal everyday thing, and I think its his way of showing me he's ok...

I have considered bereavement counselling, but haven't done it yet and the further I move away from when it happened, the more I feel I should be ok, so I'd kinda feel stupid going along to counselling, but I guess it really is something for both you and I to consider OP

Advertisement