Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paye/Small Business/Student

Options
  • 22-07-2010 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm a mature student independent of my parents so i'm self assessed on my income for my grant, i'm a part-time paye worker and earn about 15k a year.

I'm thinking of starting a small business which involves what i'm currently studying and i've had some offers of work already. It would probably generate about 3k extra in earnings a year, there are no expenses as such and i basically turn up do the job charge for material and the labour. I know I could keep this as a "nixer" but i'd rather keep it above board and do the little bits like registering, maybe get a small commercial van etc, and start getting my name out there for the future.

The cut off rate for my current amount of grant is approx. 22k annual earnings per year, so my earnings would now be eg 18k, so technically I'd still be below the cut off point for the grant.

However does anyone know if by starting a small business this would have a negative affect on my grant regardless of the fact i'd still be below the cut off point? I know if I was just a paye worker it wouldn't have any real effect but keeping my student grant at the same level is the real issue.

Really appreciate any info anyone has!!

Thanks

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moved from the Help Desk to Student Finances.

Advertisement