Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a first car - recommendations

Options
  • 21-07-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

Long story short, I'm looking into buying my first car. Currently driving a red '02 Peugeot Partner, with 78k on the clock.

I've about €4-5k to work with, preferably a diesel engine, and something that's reliable as hell, and hopefully '03 upwards. Bonus points if it's easy on the eyes, although because I'm living around Santry/Ballymun area, maybe something that's not too easy on the eyes :pac:

Had my eyes on the likes of a Seat Ibiza, as a Golf is probably not an option at that price

Any suggestions would be terrific, thanks very much :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Golf tdi would defo be in the running at that money i'd imagine.
    Ford Focus 1.8tdci
    Citroen Xsara 2.0hdi, great engine and can be got for very small money !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

http://cars.buyandsell.ie/search/cars-for-sale-under-5k/dublin%2015/6a08824d857cd52a2a4061e15e7877fd3a0559f9

Reliability is an unknown here, but this yoke is very small money to run

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Cheers guys... any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ERR!

DO NOT get a seat Ibiza...... ugh... crap

ERR! wrote: »
    DO NOT get a seat Ibiza...... ugh... crap

Really?? I thought they had a good rep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

What age are you if you don't mind me asking and do you have a full licence?

All about insurance, want to take that into consideration aswell.

Mak_United wrote: »
    What age are you if you don't mind me asking and do you have a full licence?

All about insurance, want to take that into consideration aswell.

24, full licence for a year :)

Just to say, I would consider a petrol engine too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

e39 520d with all the bits ? honda accord ?

e39 520d with all the bits ? honda accord ?

Cheers for that but wouldn't a BMW 520 get me raped on tax and insurance? Due to the engine size and the fact it's a BMW?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Cheers for that but wouldn't a BMW 520 get me raped on tax and insurance? Due to the engine size and the fact it's a BMW?

2 litre diesel ? and not really, the 3 series is the one that gets ploughed into walls and wrapped around poles by scummers

2 litre diesel ? and not really, the 3 series is the one that gets ploughed into walls and wrapped around poles by scummers

Nice one, I shall take that into consideration!!

Any petrol cars that are recommended for a first car? Cheap, reliable, enough nippiness to do what needs to be done, etc.

Advertisement