Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Theory test questions that threw you off

Options
  • 21-07-2010 10:45pm

Hey all,

Just mooching through the '08 CDRom and doing a few of the practice tests to pass time.

I failed the test before once, (by one question :() but everytime I see the "who has the right of way here" diagrams I get it wrong.

In a real life situation, I reckon I'd be grand, but the diagrams are so shoddily drawn and the answers never make much sense. I've assumed at this stage that whenever I don't have right of way, whatever car is on the right hand side of the illustration will be the correct answer.

I also distinctly remember getting a bus-related question when sitting the actual test that i failed (it asked how many passengers i could carry in my bus if my bus could hold 50 people but my license could only hold 36... or something vaguely along those lines. Don't remember the specifics).

So anyway, after reading about the new regulations being considered and apparently homing in for the end og august, I booked a theory test and thought I'd throw this thread up for those awkward questions that people get that they got wrong (and as a result, never forgot :pac: ).

Any weird or odd questions that had you drawing a blank?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

There were some really odd questions in the theory test (only a few though), that you had to just take their word for.

All I can remember was a picture of a car and a motorbike on a motorway in wet conditions. The question was "what should the rider be aware of" and you had to pick one answer, and two of them seemed equally valid, namely "crosswinds could blow the car into the rider's lane" and "reduced visibility" - something along those lines.

For those right of way questions, there is usually a picture with a yellow sign marking the junction. A thicker black line means that's a main road and traffic on it has right of way over the thinner black lines. You'll know what I mean when you see the pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

I know what you mean about the diagrams when you go to sit the test, there is one where they ask who has right of way & when your sat looking at it you'd swear the sign showed a junction with roads of equal importance ...... if in doubt move back away from the screen and look again, you'll spot the difference then in the thickness of the lines on the sign (if there def is any) to correctly spot who has right of way over who.

That's the one I always remember cos others in the room beside me taking the tests thought I was mental rocking back in me chair staring at a friggan sign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

the technical matters questions are throwing me off a good bit
    cant seem to get my head round them
    really need to get the hang of them coz my test is tommorow week :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I got a few wrong on my theory test, and the one that really stuck in my craw was something along the lines of:

'You are approaching a traffic light that you know has been green for some time. How should you proceed?'

I took what I thought was the proper option of proceeding as normal. I didn't think you could introduce the idea of a driver "knowing" things safely into practice. Lots of drivers think they "know" things, and they don't. Anyway, the answer was to slow in anticipation of amber.

It still rankles with me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

doing my test wednesday morning please let me pass im a theory test virgin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

doing my test wednesday morning please let me pass im a theory test virgin

Good Luck :):)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I seen a theory question "Who has right of way at an uncontrolled junction?" and the answer was "Nobody. All cars must only proceed when it is safe to do so."
    Is that correct? I always thought it was that you give way to traffic on the right or already on the junction.. :confused:

Oh, and good luck Wednesday, finnharpsboy! :)

Advertisement