Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance claim

Options
  • 21-07-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey Guys,

Had an accident yesterday complety my fault. Lady was lovely and was happy to not go through my insurance.

very minimal damage probly worried about nothing. But if its more than I can afford and have to go through insurance (im with Quinn) should I have informed them of the acident? Is their a timeframe on this?

Any advise would be gratefully apreciated.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Inform them even if you do not intend to claim. If the lady turns around and decides to claim anytime in the future and you havent informed them then it could get sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 therecruit

anyone got any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

You have to tell them of any event that may give rise to a claim , they can note if for the time being and close it once you tell them its sorted.

You have nothing to loose by telling them whats going on.

*clears throat*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Yep its no harm to keep the insurance in the frame. If theres no claim then you will not lose your no claims bonus. Good luck! If the lady is honest then theres nothing to worry about unlike the 2 bastards we thought were honest when we caused a minor accident (broke the headlight on their 4x4, said they were fine but 2 weeks later got the solicitors letters . Claimed for leg,back, neck, head and arm injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Yep its no harm to keep the insurance in the frame. If theres no claim then you will not lose your no claims bonus. Good luck! If the lady is honest then theres nothing to worry about unlike the 2 bastards we thought were honest when we caused a minor accident (broke the headlight on their 4x4, said they were fine but 2 weeks later got the solicitors letters . Claimed for leg,back, neck, head and arm injuries.

There are some chancers out there !
    Broke a headlight on their 4X4 - how did the accident happen if you don't mind me asking?

I hope they were found out as fruadsters, were they?

Wife drove through a junction on a small country road, so hidden that even the tow truck near done the same.
    No I reported them to our insurance but they did not want to know because we admitted liability and our solicitor said and I quote THESE INJURIES HAVE A WAY OF MANIFESTING THEMSELVES OVERNIGHT! more like when they get talking to their mates in the pub.

Id rather wait a few days and see is their a time limit? also can you settle an argument I cant admit liability, what I mean is legally only the insurance company can whatever I say doesnt count right?

I think you are right there but im not totally sure. The insurance do reccommend that you do not admit liability

• Advertisement

Wait a few days and see what? The other people have a long time (it could be 6 months or even longer) to turn around and try and claim off your insurance. You can inform your insurance company without them actually doing anything. If you dont inform them and the other people claim down the line then you could be in a sticky mess.

Im not sure where legally it stands, certainly dont put anything into writing, but every insurance company will always tell you under no circumstances should you admit liability no matter what. Thats up to them to decide, and they dont want you saying anything that makes their life harder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

therecruit wrote: »
    anyone got any advice?
    Yeah, maybe you should read the T&Cs on your policy, it's all detailed there. I'd be very wary of taking some of the so-called advice posted above as the posters don't have access to your specific insurance documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

its lads like that drive up everyones insurance i would say you felt like going around to there house and sorting out there legs back neck head and arm for real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Wife drove through a junction on a small country road, so hidden that even the tow truck near done the same.
    No I reported them to our insurance but they did not want to know because we admitted liability and our solicitor said and I quote THESE INJURIES HAVE A WAY OF MANIFESTING THEMSELVES OVERNIGHT! more like when they get talking to their mates in the pub.
    If you accepted liability at the scene of the accident, it is totally inadmissable. Both parties are deemed to be technically in a 'state of shock'. If it as declared in the days following the accident, they may be in a position to take this position

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Hello sorry to hear about your accident. To be honest most people out the are decent sound folk. It's just the minority that cause the problems.

If you're to settle outside insurance that's fine. But you're still obliged to tell tour currnet insurance company. Tell them it's going to be settled outside the policy. Your policy renewal is only effected if there is a claim or if you get a conviction arising from an incident. As others have said if this
    lady decides to claim within six months then your insurance company would be a bit annoyed if you didn't inform them etc

One other piece of advice and trust me on this. Regardless of who's fault it is. Write down the events; date time, regs of cars,names of drivers, witneses, damage, road number etc etc and bring to your local Garda station. Was advised by a solicitor this was a good idea in case there is a court case. Can't remeber the logic behind this......

Best of luck with the fixing of the cars. Glad no one was hurt! Still can be a nasty experience

cheers
    CarMuppet

Thanks guys

rang the insurance company and they were grand said someone will call me tomarrow about it and that they would send me a form to fill out, it this the norm?

I was pretty shaken and remember apoligising and saying Id get it fixed I also sighned a note about what happened. Have I admitted liability? and if so am I done for or does it not count because of the strees, because to be honest I cant be sure what I said I know its a cliche but it all happened so fast.

starting to get a bit worried,

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Probably to late now?

Anyways you should ring them and explain what has happened and that yourself and the woman have both agreed to pay out of your pocket, unless you don't have the money, i would guess they will ask for pic's of both cars and to keep them informed of anything that happens.

That way, if it does come back to bite you in the arse you will be covered for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

Most of us drivers (especially the longer you are driving) will have been in this situation, ither as the injured or the guilty party.
    I sympathise but look on the bright side:you are covered from your insurance companies viewpoint.Admitting liability at the scene and especially signing something was a mistake,but you were in shock.Any costs will be borne by the insurance.That's why you pay it.

Advertisement