Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New guy

Options
  • 21-07-2010 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi looking to get first car soon and was wondering if i insured the car under my mums ownership and have her as he main driver and me added a (17 year old provisional) would this be a cheap option? Do you have to declare external modifications to the company and could you give me an example of cars that are in general cheaper on the insurance then others with the potential to have things done to it in the future? (have been checking myself frequently but you guys probably have some better (different) ideas.
    Thanks for reading and sorry for the new kid questions your probably plagued with
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Rasherz wrote: »
    Hi looking to get first car soon and was wondering if i insured the car under my mums ownership and have her as he main driver and me added a (17 year old provisional) would this be a cheap option?
    If you're gonna insure yourself as the named driver and you're actually the main driver you'll be in breach of your insurance.
    Do you have to declare external modifications to the company
    You'd be wise to, if you happen to crash and an assessor comes out to check the car, they'll see the mods and then void your insurance. I have all my mods declared and none changed my premium.
    could you give me an example of cars that are in general cheaper on the insurance then others with the potential to have things done to it in the future? (have been checking myself frequently but you guys probably have some better (different) ideas.
    Most people here will agree on a 1.25 Fiesta as a first car, or else a Polo.
    Thanks for reading and sorry for the new kid questions your probably plagued with
    Paul
    Everyone has to start somewhere :]

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Rasherz

Thanks for the constructive help midnight eg does that include any performance enhancing mods by any chance? and i know i will sound like every other poser showing of to his mates but is there any better options out there then a fiesta or polo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I started in a K10 micra.

I miss that micra and am determened to own a k10 again at some stage. Which will make no sense to anyone else.

Start small build up no claims snd some road sese then step up in power.

Thanks for the constructive help midnight eg does that include any performance enhancing mods by any chance?
    Uprated backbox, mid-section and decat are declared, as are the drilled and grooved brakes. The brakes actually gave me a €40 discount from my insurance because they saw it as increasing safety. If you count Carbon Fiber as performance enhancing due to saving weight then yes, it does include that.
    i know i will sound like every other poser showing of to his mates but is there any better options out there then a fiesta or polo?

I started off in a Civic, still have it, modified and declared rightly. Shop around for insurance, ring every broker you can and get quotes on the likes of Starlets, Civics, Golf's...the usual 'boy racer' cars. No doubt insurance will be high, but you could get lucky...and if it is a high quote pick out a car that you'll hang onto for a while!

I started in a K10 micra.

I miss that micra and am determened to own a k10 again at some stage. Which will make no sense to anyone else.

Start small build up no claims snd some road sese then step up in power.

lol actually i agree just looking at it now its kind of..............nice:o
    would a 1.1 peugeot 106 be any good to start in always had a soft spot for them since a
    cuz traded his porche in for a 206:pac:

• Advertisement

lol actually i agree just looking at it now its kind of..............nice:o
    would a 1.1 peugeot 106 be any good to start in always had a soft spot for them since a
    cuz traded his porche in for a 206:pac:

The 106 is a nice base to modify on, you can easily pick up parts both new and used.

The 106 is a nice base to modify on, you can easily pick up parts both new and used.
    perfect i like the look of them and they must be reasonably quick for a 1.1 being light.
    this will sound strange but are there many saloon options out there

perfect i like the look of them and they must be reasonably quick for a 1.1 being light.
    this will sound strange but are there many saloon options out there

A 1 litre will never be quick ;)

Civic saloons are quite nice once done right...not many others would be in the same league really. I can't really think of anything else tbh? Old shape Almera done right is nice too...

Civic saloons are quite nice once done right...not many others would be in the same league really. I can't really think of anything else tbh? Old shape Almera done right is nice too...

lol i'll give you that but driving a opel zaphira for a while anything will feel quicker:p

hmm seriously considering the civic (Heard a mitsubishi gls is cheap is this true at all)

lol i'll give you that but driving a opel zaphira for a while anything will feel quicker:p

hmm seriously considering the civic (Heard a mitsubishi gls is cheap is this true at all)

Another saloon I missed, the Lancer, I assume you meant Lancer when you said GLS.

Another hatchback you could try is a Colt as well, no harm.

Just ring around and get quotes on everything, nobody here can tell you if it'll be cheap or not.

• Advertisement

Another saloon I missed, the Lancer, I assume you meant Lancer when you said GLS.

Another hatchback you could try is a Colt as well, no harm.

Just ring around and get quotes on everything, nobody here can tell you if it'll be cheap or not.

Thank you for the help got me in the right direction in about 15 mins but one last question would you know any recommended garages in the dublin area for installation as im seeing a lot of lads around the area(sandyford) with body kits that look like they will fall off

Thank you for the help got me in the right direction in about 15 mins but one last question would you know any recommended garages in the dublin area for installation as im seeing a lot of lads around the area(sandyford) with body kits that look like they will fall off

Body wise, R&E Motors in the Hibernian Industrial Estate would be my choice, and not only because I know the owners :P
    Can't fault their work and they mainly work on Luxury vehicles!

Performance wise there's many places you can go to. Urban Per4mance, Tuning Factory and a few more are well known.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

i'm the same age, and would love to get a car, just could never afford the insurance,petrol,tax,servicing..!!..

if i had €, i would get something like this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1449768 and just keep it standard, save the pennies.. and
    after awhile, move on to something like this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1428816 ;):D:cool: in 10 years time:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

A GSXR 1000 begs to differ!

kennethk wrote: »
    i'm the same age, and would love to get a car, just could never afford the insurance,petrol,tax,servicing..!!..

if i had €, i would get something like this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1449768 and just keep it standard, save the pennies.. and
    after awhile, move on to something like this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1428816 ;):D:cool: in 10 years time:p

Sound advice i just have to much pride to drive that but i know what you mean about saving the money for something really nice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

kennethk wrote: »

I used to see that exact Evo in DKIT in Jan, it's absolutely beautiful. Sorry for going OT 10500 is a good price for it methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Wee starlets can look very well with only a small bit of work if ya ask me. Or a 106 I'd go down the gti rep route. Diesel 306's can be insured reasonably well I think. More power that a one litre 106 and a nice looking car if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭padunne

Try 306 diesel as they are cheap to insure and run. I started on a 1.4 xsara myself and it is a quick enough car and can be done up nicely if you want. A 1.3 lancer aswell would be a good start and insurance should be no problem. Best advice id give is keep any mods fairly subtle. Ya dont want to be driving a corsa with a 4 foot spoiler on it. I thinik a nice set of alloys really do up a car and benefit you in driving.

padunne wrote: »
    Try 306 diesel as they are cheap to insure and run. I started on a 1.4 xsara myself and it is a quick enough car and can be done up nicely if you want. A 1.3 lancer aswell would be a good start and insurance should be no problem. Best advice id give is keep any mods fairly subtle. Ya dont want to be driving a corsa with a 4 foot spoiler on it. I thinik a nice set of alloys really do up a car and benefit you in driving.

the 306's cheap running costs appeal. The xsara is just not my cup of tea really but its something different:D. Never thought about the 1.3 lancer looks like a class idea always wanted a saloon:). yeh the subtle mods are a big thing i think as much as i would love to make it low with a wide bodykit and a big spoiler if it dose not have any power to match it i'd feel kind of stupid:o might look into things like the brakes which midnight eg got a discount on the insurance for and the right alloys really do seem to give a car a finished look, thanks for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

The 306 can be a lovely looking car if done right. Nice wheels and lowered, then maybe tint the windows too. When I was 20, the insurance one one was the same as a 1.0L Micra! I don't know if that'll still be the case but it's worth looking into.

It'd be my choice out of all the cars mentioned

• Advertisement

Just found a bmw e30 316i and got reasonable quotes:) on them but does anyone know how reliable they are as its a 91 will it last much longer or will it just turn into a money pit?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Is it a three door or a five door?? They can be liable to rust/rot be carefully to go over it throughly that way and lift carpets to check etc. Not to sure on the reliability of the engines but if it has lasted this long it can't be to bad. The 2.5's have a bit of a reputation for boiling I think.

Advertisement