Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Dell spare parts?

Options
  • 21-07-2010 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

My Dell laptop screen is knackered. I know the part number but just wondering where to buy it. I'm actually passing through Limerick at the moment and thought there must be places in the area what would carry spare parts. Or am I being too optimistic?

I had a look online but could only see places in the US with crazy delivery charges. There must be places in Ireland/Europe? The part number is UF165 UW737 (with hinges).

thanks for any advice! :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

For a start, that part number is for the LCD cover. Not the LCD (Screen) itself. Which is it you're looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sublime1

Thanks for the reply - clearly you know your spare parts! :)
    Yes the screen is ok, it's the hinges and cover that aren't closing right (see photos), so I'm pretty sure I have the right part numbers.

Just wondering where to pick them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Is the laptop under warranty?

What model is it?

Warranty is long gone, it's nearly 4 years old. It's the Inspiron 6400.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

Looks like a Inspiron 6400 like mine. I had exactly the same problem. The problem seems to be common enough with this model and it is a manufacturing fault. The hinges are badly secured to the lid and force the edges apart when opening and closing. I got a pair of hinges on e-bay and they were fitted by my local computer repair shop. Involved some strong glue (forget the name of it) and a rather crude screw in the corner. Works though. Look on You Tube and you will actually find some videos showing how to repair it. Best of luck with your repairs.

• Advertisement

Cheers. I had a friend who repaired his own take a look at it, and he said he could fix it for me, but that I'd need the full cover not just the hinges.

I've no problem looking online, it's just the delivery charges are a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

Have a look at this thread on the Dell Community Forum about the problem:
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19280378/19603537.aspx

Thanks. Yes I saw that - it's very useful. So, back to my original question - where can I buy these parts in Limerick or Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

Try here

You might have to email a few to ensure the part # is correct.

• Advertisement
Advertisement