Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Price Hike

Options
  • 21-07-2010 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I was shopping around for car insurance the other day, after my annual renewals has increased dramatically over the previous year. I was previously insured with a major insurance company and I had a very attractable rate. Subsequently the rate has increased dramatically and I am now on the hunt for a better rate.
    I had been advised by numerous contacts that insurance has increased across the board, due to the current economic climate. House insurance rates have also increased around Dublin, so I am very interested to see what increase in premium I will be facing on my household insurance, hopefully not to much. Can anyone recommend a good competitive insurance company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Sympathise with your plight,,,,have been trying to soften the blow of my wife's quotation which is up 50% on last year!
    The usual guff about premium increase due to higher claims doesn't convince me.
    THERE ARE DEFINITELY FEWER CARS ON THE ROAD so I for one don't swallow any of that rubbish.
    keep plugging away, got a less expensive quote for third party only with FBD.
    Still waiting for Aviva to call me back with an explanation for the 50% hike. Won't hold my breath....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

insurance make a fair whack of their profits by investing premium income into the market. (relatively safe bonds etc) When the market is buoyant, you get the benefit (insurance dropped dramatically in 2005 - 2008 when stock markets were jumping) as returns on stock market including bonds have been non existent recently the companies have to gwet extra income in via higher premiums.

Its happening all over, not just here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭naoise80

THERE ARE DEFINITELY FEWER CARS ON THE ROAD so I for one don't swallow any of that rubbish.

Fewer cars on the road will mean premiums go up.

That is why car insurance is so much cheaper in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

My insurance company quoted me €600, €250 more than last year, even though it was the same car and I had an extra years no claims. I called them up and the girl said "we didn't make any money out of you last year so thats why it's high this year" :confused: She wouldn't even haggle so I told her where to stick it and got on the interwebs. Got a quote for €311 from its4women fully comp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Trampas

Recession leads to compo culture cause people looking for ways to gain some extra money.

as already said investments go down which leads to hire cost.

Floods and big freeze cost the companies a lot of money also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Got a quote for €311 from its4women fully comp :D
    :D thanks for that - saved herself over €200 on her quote from allianz!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

was going to post exactly the same thing.

My insurance broker hiked up the price by 40 quid this year, doubled the charge for breakdown assist, doubled the excess without telling anyone (they claim it was a computer error, not sure if I do wanna believe that), and said that insurance has gone up 30 to 40 % in the past year.

oh, and they introduced a 'leaving' charge as well - so if I find a cheaper quote somewhere, with another company, I'd have to pay the 30 quid. For what exactly they couldnt tell me. Actualy wondering if that's legal...

Not happy.

Edit: sweet lord - just tried this its4women insurance - they want 700 Euros, while I am currently paying 330 fully comp with AIG through my broker. That's a crazy difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Biercer

Thanks for all the replys, at least I am not the only one in this position. Hopefully premiums will begin to decrease as we emerge from this economic downturn.
    I got a quote from www.firstquote.ie for my Car Insurance and saved over 30%. Seems to be a good solid company, with good rates. I think the future of insurance lies online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

last year for a 1.6 (petrol) i was charged €400 full comp with one direct,they then bumped it up to €540:eek:
    rang around and got fully comp for my new 1.9 (petrol)with no nonsense for €365,i'm delighted with that quote,can't understand the huge difference in price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

91011 wrote: »
    :D thanks for that - saved herself over €200 on her quote from allianz!

Just had a look - I don't see any condition stating that a man can't be insured there. There's a page of "assumptions", and none of them states that the quotes are only available to women. Also, there's no question asking what sex the applicant is. I'm not sure they've thought this out ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Biercer wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replys, at least I am not the only one in this position. Hopefully premiums will begin to decrease as we emerge from this economic downturn.
    I got a quote from www.firstquote.ie for my Car Insurance and saved over 30%. Seems to be a good solid company, with good rates. I think the future of insurance lies online.

It seems that their quotes are from €299, which in my case is higher than Aviva, or even 123.ie.

Do you work for first quote, by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 beemaja

Checked out itsforwomen.ie and quoted me 250 Euro more than my existing policy.

Also word of warning, I was changing my policy last year to a well advertised 290 quote, the price sounded attractive, not so attractive was that I went to their office to pay and provide my details, I was kept waiting for over 2 hours. With me waiting was a lady who paid policy 6 months earlier but had not received her disk or documents despite numerous calls.

They sent her back advising her documents would be in the post...that was enough for me not to go with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

beemaja wrote: »
    Checked out itsforwomen.ie and quoted me 250 Euro more than my existing policy.
    Are you a man or a woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 starsey

i am insured with aviva car insurance ,i was hit by a horse and cart while driveing.i wasnt at fault i am fully comp with stepback .aviva refused to pay personal injuries for my passengers.and sold my car to the highest bidder a salvage yard to re coupe their loss without my permission. i had to send my log book to de scrap yard and get my money for my car from de scrap yard instead of aviva.does dis sound like normal practise ?my contract is with aviva not a scrap yard what can i do? help any ideas?

Advertisement