Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire, Noob questions

Options
  • 21-07-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm sure if I googled all of this I could piece it all together but I'm hoping somewhere here can help me out.

I currently have an iphone and its time for an upgrade. My options seem to be either the iPhone 4 or a HTC Desire. I know all about the iPhone so I'm here looking for info on the Desire. I'm with O2 so these are my only options.

Right, here are my questions:

What can the Desire do that the iPhone can't? (if anything)

If i get a desire from O2 will it come with Android 2.1 or 2.2? And is it possible to root both of these?

I have a jailbroken iPhone currently and I love it. What does rooting allow me to do to the Desire?

I think thats it for the time being. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Nedd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

Both similar. Desire has flash - you can watch youtube, play flash games online etc (all online games sites are your games for your mobile instead of paying to download ones from apple)
    iphone 4 is out on 3 exclusively first in4 weeks time... wont be out on O2 for a while.. also has reception issues..
    since you rooted your iphone you probably got flash on it anyway i guess...

If i get a desire from O2 will it come with Android 2.1 or 2.2? And is it possible to root both of these?
    2.1 - you can root easily and update to 2.2. theres lots of posts in this board section on it

I have a jailbroken iPhone currently and I love it. What does rooting allow me to do to the Desire?
    hmm..if you love it why upgrade? in terms of difference there isnt much really.. just if you want android or apples all store.. people who have come from iphone to it say its better... i dont know.. personally id see if you have a mate who has it and compare them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

thanks for that. another question i just thought of. there is a lot of jailbreak apps for the iphone that allow you install apps not officially approved on the itunes store. is there something similar on android?

The reason i'm updating is i have an iphone 3g, 2 years old now. Its time to update, i was planning on getting the iphone 4 but someone mentioned that android rocks so i thought i better check it out before i buy the iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

The Android market doesn't have much of a restricted approval process compared to the iPhone store so most apps that are made are on it. Paid apps are not available in Ireland unless you root the phone or get a UK sim to purchase them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

If you have a quick search of this forum I think you'll find a few iPhone 4 / Desire comparisons already. I'll list some here anyway.

Mostly though, there's not really a huge difference in the capabilities of the phones.
    nedd wrote: »
    • Homescreen widgets.
    • Adobe Flash.
    • Proper multi-tasking.
    • Wi-Fi teather with Android 2.2 (I *really* love this feature)
    • Much more customisible -- literally anything and everything can be changed if you wish
    • FM Radio
    • Removable battery
    • Removable (+upgradable) storage
    • Great over-the-air syncing with Google (mail, contacts, calendar), Facebook (contacts, calendar) and others
    • There's very little need to ever plug the phone in and "sync" with a PC. Backups, updates and everything else is done over the air. You can literally upgrade or change the entire OS without ever plugging it in to a computer. And can run an FTP server on the phone if you want to wirelessly access its files.
    • Active community of hackers creating new custom ROMS (versions of the operating system) which can add some interesting functionality.
    • Free turn by turn navigation with voice. It's a little basic, built into Google Maps, but it's there and it works.
    • Very good search function (never really used the 'spotlite' search when I had iPhone.. use Android's search all the time and it's great!)
    It will come with 2.1. Rooting isn't much more difficult than downloading a desktop app, plugging in the phone and pressing a button. Once rooted you can install a custom 2.2 ROM quite easily and unlock some of those newer features.
    Rooting Android is not as important as jailbreaking the iPhone, simply because Android is much more open anyway. A lot of what you would jailbreak an iPhone for is already available. That said, rooting is very easy and lets you get around some of Android's little foibles -- such as accessing paid apps in the market (which aren't officially available in Ireland yet :() and installing apps on the SD card (something which is slowly becoming available with Android 2.2 anyway). And of course the ability to install custom community built ROMS.

I switched from an iPhone 3GS (not jailbroken) and couldn't be happier with that decision. I'd buy my mother an iPhone. But me? I know what I'm doing, don't need the fisher-price locked-down over-simplified iOS.

there is a lot of jailbreak apps for the iphone that allow you install apps not officially approved on the itunes store. is there something similar on android?
    There's no need, really. You can install Android apps from whereever you find them. The Market is one place (and much less restricted than Apples AppStore)... or you can often simply download them from a developer website)

OK. one last question. This is to do with SMS. currently on the iphone if i'm playing a game and i get a text i have to exit the game and reply to the text.

How does this work on Android.

• Advertisement

OK. one last question. This is to do with SMS. currently on the iphone if i'm playing a game and i get a text i have to exit the game and reply to the text.

I think with the default SMS app, you'll get a notification that you can read, then you can switch to the SMS app to reply. The game should be where you left it when you go back.

But on Android you're not locked down to the default SMS app. There's a few alternatives in the market that will let you reply within the notification itself.

wow. thanks for the comprehensive answer there Goodshape.

you have convinced me to get a Desire.

I'm currently looking for an O2 store that has the Desire in stock so I can go get it now :-)

you have convinced me to get a Desire.
    Cool :)

actually just thought of one more last question :-)

can you record video? and what is the quality like?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭NellyMcD

Yes you can record video and the quality is not bad.

• Advertisement

I think by default it's 640x480 VGA. I could be wrong.

With custom rom it goes all the way up to 720p - though not, I think, at full frame rate.

Photo camera is 5 megapixel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Goodshape wrote: »
    I think by default it's 640x480 VGA. I could be wrong.

With custom rom it goes all the way up to 720p - though not, I think, at full frame rate.

Photo camera is 5 megapixel.

It goes up to 800x480 WVGA with the standard 2.1 rom.

Cheers guys.

Got the Desire on my way home yesterday. Loving it so far, still trying to find my way around it. Any recommendations on best apps to get?

Thanks for you help.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Cheers guys.

Got the Desire on my way home yesterday. Loving it so far, still trying to find my way around it. Any recommendations on best apps to get?

Thanks for you help.
    Enjoy - I love mine.

Check out this thread for all your app needs :)

Advertisement