Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is cheaper - Roaming Data and Bluface or Roaming calls?

Options
  • 21-07-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I am going to Spain tomorrow and have a (so they say) unlimited internet access on my Vodafone account (with iPhone). Vodafone say that the internet access is only included in my monthly charge while in Ireland. Outside of Ireland data is subject to new european charges and limits, with an intial cap at 10MB for 50 euro.

While abroad roaming charges will be 79c for incoming calls, and 79c to connect for outgoing and a further 20c per minute (with Vodafone passport activated).

Does anyone have any opinion as to which would be cheaper go ahead and make the calls as per normal (with the above rates applicable) or would it be cheaper to pay the data charge and use my Blueface account?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Kinda depends how much calls you plan to make

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭plu

If it's mainly short calls, switch off passport and pay the normal EU regulated roaming charges, (of 47 c / min to make and 13 c / min to receive) . Passport was conceived at a time when roaming costs were normally much higher.

The data you refer to is not through the live portal but through isp.vodafone.ie or hs.vodafone.ie If you were going through live, data costs would be capped at 99 c /day but I'm not sure if the app for Blueface works through the live portal or not.

You have three options. Passport, World or Blueface rates. What you opt for will all depend on your call pattern.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It may be actually cheaper to buy a PAYG sim over there and use that for the duration? (assuming your phone is unlocked)

You could also check out maxroam.ie for future trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 johnsherwin

Thanks for your responses, I think in the end the amount of calls I needed to make did not really add up to much of a price difference one way or the other. Good tips there if I was going away for longer, much appreciated :).

Advertisement