Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Splitting a signal

• 21-07-2010 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi,

I need to split my ntl signal upstairs to send it to a TV in the attic. Is there anything i need to watch for to make sure the signal does not deteriorate. I split one downstairs and the 2nd signal is still pretty poor in comparrison

Best splitter ?
    Best cables to use ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Use F connectors (screw-in type) and shielded splitters (i.e. not plastic crap, and also with F connectors). You're always going to get some signal loss by splitting, it's unavoidable. Use satellite-grade co-ax, I forget the types but there's people around here who know more about that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭wardie101

Use F connectors (screw-in type) and shielded splitters (i.e. not plastic crap, and also with F connectors). You're always going to get some signal loss by splitting, it's unavoidable. Use satellite-grade co-ax, I forget the types but there's people around here who know more about that stuff.

Thanks for the feedback. I was told, if splitting to 3 tvs that I should get a Dsitributor like this one rather than just split the cable

http://www.tvtrade.ie/proception-4-way-tv-amplifier.html

Are these the best way to go or would a decent splitter/cables do the job ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I use a three-way splitter here for TV and it works ok (two analogue, one HD digital), however signal quality varies so it's hard to say if it will be sufficient in your house.

That amplifier is not suitable for cable TV which uses frequencies between 230 and 470 MHz. It's designed for separate VHF and UHF aerials, hence the two inputs. Cable can use anywhere around 50-850 MHz (depends on region). Also it doesn't use F connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

Just thought I'd share my experience with this cos have similar setup I was trying to fix.

I have a similar setup where I split my UPC cable to upstairs TV. I had a standard amplifier which didn't really work so I've just got it working perfectly by changing all the connections and the splitter to the F-Type ones and I got a amplifier specially for cable TV.
    I got it from e-bay and its called: "Konig Pro30 Cable TV/Modem Signal Amplifier Booster NTL"

I split the UPC cable just at the entry point in the house and have one line going into UPC digital box on my main TV and then other one going upstairs where I have all the basic analog cable channels. Before only some of the channels were watchable but now all are perfectly clear and I also tried the digital box upstairs at the second point and all works perfectly so the Konig amplifier is the way to go!

Advertisement