Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone with experience Renting a flat in France?

Options
  • 21-07-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭

I mean long-term rental, not just a short stay.
    I've heard LL's sometimes try to stick you with extra "taxes" that used to exist in bygone days...

Anyway what do you need? Letters of recommendation? Copies of bank statements etc?
    Translated of course.

Any words of wisdom?
    Things to watch out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

where you thinking of renting as that will play a big factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Brittany

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭azzie

You'll be liable for Taxe d'Habitation for the full year if you're resident on 1st January. The other property tax Taxe Fonciere is paid by the owner of the property.
    Try looking at Leboncoin for rental properties
    http://www.leboncoin.fr/locations/offres/bretagne/?f=a&th=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭savvyav

You might need a letter of guarantee from a French resident, saying they'll pay your rent if you run off...though I think alot of landlords won't care about that once you hand over your deposit. Apparently your deposit should be one month's rent, so beware anyone who tries to charge you more! Just be prepared to hunt ALOT, I was looking in Paris and it took me ages to get somewhere. You might need a letter from your employer aswell, just to prove you have income...of course, you can't open a bank account until you have somewhere to live...gotta love bureaucracy!

Advertisement