Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do new birthdays affect players for U20?

Options
  • 21-07-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm a little unsure as to how the new birthdays (and lack of aging this season) will affect the U20 team (espec for s12). Can somebody please enlighten me a bit?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

As far as I am aware it means for the ones we have started training for s12 that the current 18 year olds have a chance of being available if their birthdays are late in the season and so potentially push some of the trainees currently aiming for that out of contention with an extra season of training.

also recruits in the YA who are 16 and have a late birthday get an extra season in the YA before promotion to full training. unfortunately so far all my promising ones seem to have birthdays in the first week :(

Thats my understanding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Current 18 year old players will not be able to play in the world cup in season 12.

Also, for a new international trainee (ie for the S14 WC), you want to have a birthday early in the season so that you can get him out of the academy asap and give him 10 sessions of training for as long as possible.
    Current trainees will benefit from having a late birthday as they will receive more training at the lower age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

jprender wrote: »
    Current 18 year old players will not be able to play in the world cup in season 12.

Also, for a new international trainee (ie for the S14 WC), you want to have a birthday early in the season so that you can get him out of the academy asap and give him 10 sessions of training for as long as possible.
    Current trainees will benefit from having a late birthday as they will receive more training at the lower age.
    The birthdays add a curious contradiction to the game. Players with early birthdays are most valuable to U20 squads (they get the maximum number of adult training sessions before their WC), but players with late birthdays are more valuable to clubs/adult NT (they will get an extra season of "free" academy training).

Advertisement