Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 Diesel Fuel Pump Advice

Options
  • 21-07-2010 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a 2.0 2005 Volvo S40 Diesel,140k Kilometers on it.I changed the fuel filter on the car,and now it wont start.After I put the filter in the car I noticed that no fuel seemed to be getting through the the filter,coming into it and exiting it(pardon the terminology..not a mechanic!).My friend who put the filter in(in front of me) thinks that the fuel pump is gone as there were very fine metal filings in the chamber where the filter is so he thought the pump may have disintegrated in some way.This debris was removed prior to installing the new filter.
    Does this sound like a dead fuel pump?Any advice would be appreciated,the budget on this out of warranty car is small and I really dont want to have to get it towed to a dealer.
    Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi,

Is the fuel filter installed the correct way as some fuel filters will only let fuel pass through in one direction.

There is usually an arrow on the filter showing the direction of flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

BROWNE51 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have a 2.0 2005 Volvo S40 Diesel,140k Kilometers on it.I changed the fuel filter on the car,and now it wont start.After I put the filter in the car I noticed that no fuel seemed to be getting through the the filter,coming into it and exiting it(pardon the terminology..not a mechanic!).My friend who put the filter in(in front of me) thinks that the fuel pump is gone as there were very fine metal filings in the chamber where the filter is so he thought the pump may have disintegrated in some way.This debris was removed prior to installing the new filter.
    Does this sound like a dead fuel pump?Any advice would be appreciated,the budget on this out of warranty car is small and I really dont want to have to get it towed to a dealer.
    Any advice would be great.

Unfortunately you can't just change the Fuel filter, was reading up on this in my Haynes manual for the S40/V50.

Its more than likely you've an airlock in the fuel line, did you fill the filter with diesel before you closed it up ?

Theres a special volvo tool you can use to draw it through the line.

Best thing to do now would be to try tow starting it. That should draw out the airlock, once its ticking over it'll run fine (Fill the filter with diesel first)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Unfortunately you can't just change the Fuel filter, was reading up on this in my Haynes manual for the S40/V50.

Its more than likely you've an airlock in the fuel line, did you fill the filter with diesel before you closed it up ?

Theres a special volvo tool you can use to draw it through the line.

Best thing to do now would be to try tow starting it. That should draw out the airlock, once its ticking over it'll run fine.

thats what i was thinking... diesels are little feckers for this...

once air get in the lines you have to bleed them, otherwise they usually go nowhere..

like when you run out of diesel (car stops running cause no diesel left) after you fill up you have to bleed the lines at the engine block to be able to start her again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BROWNE51

Thanks alot guys for the advice.
    I dropped into a Volvo dealer and spoke to 2 people about the problem.They told me that one S40 took them 2 hrs of pumping before it eventually started.One younger mechanic said that you have to draw it through the pump in the engine as well( return pipe) to get it going.My mates,who "tinker!" with cars are of the opinion that the pump (in the fuel tank) is not working or the line has come off the end of it as there is nothing coming through to the filter(could this be the case?).If the pump in the engine is air locked will that make the pump in the tank not pump fuel to the filter(once again lads,sorry for the "basic" wording,I understand the principle but the terminology is not my thing).
    The metal filings I saw in the filter chamber are only swarf apparently.
    Going to get back to it in the morning,any further advice welcome....will post outcome.
    Thanks again lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ah here - delete two of those posts! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8 charliepsmith

Hi,
    I had the same problem with my car.I eventually got it going, cant remebr how but it was a nightmare.Volvo have a special vacuum pump to connect to return leg of the fuel line which pulls the fuel through the filter and pump.There is no pump in the tank.I know this because my mechanic thought my pump in the tank was done (although i told him it didnt have one).He dropped the tank only to find there was no pump.If you have metal filings in the filter this is a bad sign.These fuel pumps tend to fail and leave filings in the system.It can destroy injectors (very costly).It just sounds like your car needs primed properly but the volvo dealer should not have a problem doing this.I hope this helps and i hope your pump is not done.I have just replaced mine 200 pounds for a second hand one.Good luck.

Advertisement