Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cattle with persistent grass scour

Options
  • 21-07-2010 7:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

I have cattle developing a nasty grass scour which I cant seem to cure. The wean-lens got it last year and I put it down to the Grass being too rich from the slurry. This year the same thing with other cattle on ground which hasn't received any slurry. I've been using Bimectin injection and also a ivomectin based pour on with the last few years, Ive done them 3 and 4 times since turnout in spring but I think it useless.Has anyone come across anything like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

They might be lacking copper! This will cause scour.
    What age are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

get vet to test the scour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

pakalasa wrote: »
    They might be lacking copper! This will cause scour.
    What age are they?

3 months onwards, they get the scour

whelan1 wrote: »
    get vet to test the scour

I think I`ll have to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    3 months onwards, they get the scour

That's about the age they get coccidiosis, is there some blood in the scour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm inclined to agree with pakalsa, sounds like it is coccidiosis. High soil molybdenum can cause a scour too and it locks up copper. Chelated (protected) copper might help solve it, if nothing shows up in dung samples get a few blood samples done for mineral deficiencies. I think talk to vet to start solving it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I'm going to get tests done on the dung, it has really become annoying at this stage, as i have been dosing them regular :mad:

do you have any vecoxan ?

whelan1 wrote: »
    do you have any vecoxan ?
    No I havent even heard of it till now , Im going to wait and see what the test results do. Im not sure where I heard this but isnt there also an immunity that could have built up to Ivomectin injections/pour-ons ????

ye best get the tests done , are they loosing condition too

• Advertisement
Advertisement