Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router Access Question. Stop wireless Connection

Options
  • 20-07-2010 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

I have a netgear router. Model: N150. There is a 2 pc's, an Xbox 360 connected by wire, and two laptops connected wirelessly.

My dad an my sister own the laptops. now Dad, Mom and I pay for the broadband service, whereas my sister has stopped paying because she thinks she does'nt have to. Now I dont think she should not be allowed avail of this service until she starts paying for it again.

Is there anyway I can prevent only her laptop from connecting to the wireless network? Without having to disable the router wireless radio to cut all laptops off. And without rechanging the access password without telling her. I want to do this without her knowing and then shel realise that she has to start paying for it again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

In layman's terms look at MAC address settings in the router and u can let up a list.

I will email the skin and blister to tell he use the other laptop:D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

"Restricting access by MAC address
    For increased security, you can restrict access to the wireless network to allow only specific PCs based on their MAC addresses. You can restrict access to only trusted PCs so that unknown PCs cannot wirelessly connect to the Awireless modem router. MAC address filtering adds an obstacle against unwanted access to your network, but the data broadcast over the wireless link is fully exposed.The Wireless Station Access list determines which wireless hardware devices will be allowed to connect to the wireless modem router.
    To restrict access based on MAC addresses:
    1.Log in to the wireless modem router at its default LAN address of http://192.168.0.1 with its default user name of admin and default password of password, or using whatever LAN address and password you have set up.
    Note: If you configure the wireless modem router from a wireless computer, add your computer’s MAC address to the access list. Otherwise you will lose your wireless connection when you click Apply. You must then access the wireless modem router from a wired computer, or from a wireless computer that is on the access control list, to make any further changes.
    2.In the Wireless Settings screen, under the Wireless Station Access List section, click the Setup Access List button to display the list.
    Figure 2-3
    Wireless-N 150 ADSL2+ Modem Router DGN1000 User Manual
    2-10 Configuring Your Wireless Network and Security Settings
    v1.1, January 2010
    3.Select the Turn Access Control On check box to enable the restricting of wireless computers by their MAC addresses.
    4.If the wireless station is currently connected to the network, you can select it from the Available Wireless Stations list. Click Add to add the station to the Trusted Wireless Stations list.
    5.If the wireless station is not currently connected, you can enter its address manually. Enter the MAC address of the authorized computer. The MAC address is usually printed on the wireless card, or it might appear in the wireless modem router’s DHCP table. The MAC address is 12 hexadecimal digits.
    Click Add to add your entry. You can add several stations to the list. When you are finished adding stations, click Apply
    •You can copy and paste the MAC addresses from the wireless modem router’s Attached Devices screen into the MAC Address field of this screen. To do this, configure each wireless computer to obtain a wireless link to the wireless modem router. The computer should then appear in the Attached Devices screen.
    •If you are configuring the wireless modem router from a wireless computer whose MAC address is not in the Trusted Wireless Stations list, and you select trusted wireless stations only, you will lose your wireless connection when you click Apply. You must then access the wireless modem router from a wired computer to make any further changes
    6.Make sure the Turn Access Control On check box is selected, and then click Apply.
    Now, only devices on this list will be allowed to wirelessly connect to the wireless modem router. This prevents unauthorized access to your network."
    From the manual here page 2-9

Advertisement