Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mounting SD card (ext2)

Options
  • 20-07-2010 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I was having trouble with my SD card on my Desire so I decided to format it; as I use Linux and and Android is Linux I thought I'd go with EXT2.
    I copied everything off it, deleted the partition and created an new one with GParted, copied everything back and just for good measure set the permissions to 777 (everyone allowed all access for those in Windows land), unmounted it from my PC and stuck it back into the phone,
    Booted up and "SD card removed, insert a new one"

Can I mount this card? or does a linux device only do FAT ?!?

PS I haven't rooted my device yet due to time constraints.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

You do use an ext partition on the SD card if you are rooted and using A2SD (apps to sd) so I'd imagine that Android does have the ability to read ext, however it expects the root partition of the SD card to be FAT and this is all it will mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

It's ext3 you need AFAIK.

Sorry, that's for apps, main partition is FAT32.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

JustinOval wrote: »
    It's ext3 you need AFAIK.

Thanks, but it should do both, and as ext3 is a journaling system there's more write cycles possibly wearing out the card quicker, that's why I choose ext2. I think that knasher may be right... it just irks me that it has to be FAT.

Looking into rooting the device now (unrevoked) so maybe that will give me more access to tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I don't think you'll wear the card out.

JustinOval wrote: »
    I don't think you'll wear the card out.

Just what I'd heard from another forum. Anyway, reformatted as FAT and it picked it up.
    Trying to root now with unrevoked, not having much luck, just sitting there waiting for device, so much for painless...
    <edit> just had a quick google on wearing out the card, consensus is that the drive will die of other causes before the wear kills it.

• Advertisement

Okay, many more google searches later, and a browse through the filesystem. There is a file /etc/vold.conf, that has the mount points. I think I could modify that but it too much hassle for my level of expertise.
    I'll just leave it at FAT for now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

KAGY wrote: »
    Trying to root now with unrevoked, not having much luck, just sitting there waiting for device, so much for painless...
    Did you install the Android USB Driver, and remove HTC Synch?

Dont have to worry about that on Linux :)
    The problem was I have a 64 bit installation and the unrevoked prog was looking for 32 bit libraries. That and I forgot to run with sudo (admin privileges)

Advertisement