Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Stutters/jolts when steering whell is fully locked

Options
  • 20-07-2010 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

I'm not very good with the technical terms so bear with me!

I have a 206 and when I turn the steering wheel fully and start moving it stutters. Not the engine but the wheels as if there is resistance. Checked the power steering fluid and its topped up.

Any common reasons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Could be a tyre rubbing (if you have bigger wheels) or it could be a cv joint on its way out (any click click noises when slowly driving straight or with lighter steering input?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

power steering pump or rack ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

CV joint maybe. Get it checked. Don't 206s have rear axle problems as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do you hear creaking/clunking sounds on full or near full lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Do you hear creaking/clunking sounds on full or near full lock?
    Yep when its on full lock it clunks.
    it could be a cv joint on its way out (any click click noises when slowly driving straight or with lighter steering input?
    Not that I have noticed. How much would a cv joint cost to be replaced roughly?

• Advertisement

I know I should get it checked out but moneys a bit tight. Is it anything major as in could I leave it 2-3 weeks and then get it checked?

Well a CV could give way at any time if its causing full blown clunking sounds/judder. I could say avoid sharp turns but a speed hump could tip it over the edge as well or it could give way at 100 kp/h and you don't want that.

I'd seek out a proper motor factors (not accessories shop!) and see if you can get one priced up you might find its not too bad.

http://www.goldenpages.ie/category_Motor+Factors_Ireland-1.html

Or you could try eurocarparts sample 206 page they send to Ireland

Ah right. Must get it checked so. I have only noticed it when I am in my driveway reversing into my spot. Which is quite uphill maybe its the engine and I am not giving it enough 'ompp' I'll find a nice open car park and try see what the story is

/shakes head\

Get it checked out as you say, now you make it sound like you just can't control the throttle when reversing!

mike65 wrote: »
    /shakes head\

Get it checked out as you say, now you make it sound like you just can't control the throttle when reversing!

See I think it could be my throttle control when reversing into the spot cause its very tight turn and up hill and I'm relatively new driving.

I only just bought the car and I got it checked out fully by a mechanic who said it was fine. Would it be an obvious fault to spot?

• Advertisement

Yep it would be if the mechanic did a proper steering test. Tell you what, find a carpark or similair and do complete 360 turn on full lock in one direction then do the same going the other direction. If you hear something clicking/clunking then you have wear on one side or the other, if you don't then you are okay.

Thanks. Will do that next time I'm out. I gotta feeling it is just my 'questionable' driving into the spot! Its a tricky one to get into so I always go slowly. Just did it there with no car beside me and no stutters. So happy days well sorta!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

I had the same problem with mine so i sent it off to the garage and they said it was a joint in the steering rack? All fixed now tho.

Never ever buying a peugout again. Cars spent more time in the garage then my driveway.

Advertisement