Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying a small bird (4 of them)

Options
  • 20-07-2010 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

As thread title suggests, have been watching 4 little birds on my decking for the last hour or so, look very very similar to willy wagtails, but their a lot bigger for starters and are mainly grey in colour.
    They have been going up and down my decking, and two or three of them will occasionally stop and lie down huddled up to the wall.

I first thought they might be grey wagtails, but they don't have a yellow belly, they seem to be more of a grey/White colour, walking around very fast and wagging their tails constantly.

Very pleasant to watch I must say!

Unable to pick them out of any of my books, even have an iPhone app to help identify birds but can't find them on it either.

Would take a photo but the iPhones camera is pants!

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

No they aren't pied wagtails (that's what I refer to willy wagtails as)
    They aren't really similary marked. My visitors were more of a grey colour, and slightly bigger than sparrows.

Been browsing my books and the wheatear seems to be the closest match visibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Gucky wrote: »
    No they aren't pied wagtails (that's what I refer to willy wagtails as)
    They aren't really similary marked. My visitors were more of a grey colour, and slightly bigger than sparrows.

Been browsing my books and the wheatear seems to be the closest match visibly.
    Very unlikely to find a wheatear in a garden. Usually found in upland open country in summer or along coasts early spring and autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Slightly bigger than a Sparrow and Grey describes a Juvenile Pied Wagtails perfectly.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Slightly bigger than a Sparrow and Grey describes a Juvenile Pied Wagtails perfectly.:)

Regina Hollow Sunblock, I think you could be right, perhaps they were fledglings? The fact that their was 4 of them, and they were huddling against the wall/ground.

Whatever I had in my head, they seemed to be bigger than a wagtail.

Your a star!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Gucky wrote: »
    Srameen, I think you could be right, perhaps they were fledglings? The fact that their was 4 of them, and they were huddling against the wall/ground.

Whatever I had in my head, they seemed to be bigger than a wagtail.

Your a star!

Juvenile Pied Wagtails won't have all their body feathers grown when they fledge so they look sleeker, small-bodied and long-legged, so that might explain the apparently taller appearance

LC

Advertisement