Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents Live/Work in North?

Options
  • 20-07-2010 4:39pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any experience with this? I've been living in Donegal for about 13 years and then was in Kildare since last September, back in Donegal now and planning to go to college in September but I dunno if I'm entitled to a grant since my parents moved back up to Derry a few years ago. I'm living "independently" but they don't seem to count that as i'm under 23. I assume I can apply and just need proof of income from the north but something tells me it won't be that straightforward.

Council office isn't dealing with grant questions today so can't get any info off them. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sassypsych

I think you would really need to get in contact with the county council and find out from them. It's a tricky one as I don't know if the fact that you are living in Ireland and applying in Ireland but your parents, who you are classed as dependant on, are somewhere else (ie out of the country) makes a difference.

It should be just as easy as applying and sending them all the proof of your parents income, but as you say you never know if it will just be that simple with them.:rolleyes:

If you can't get hold of anyone at the county council how about trying citizens advice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

*bump*

So the county council said that my parents would need to have been living in the state for 3/5 years and that this was a specific rule laid down by the dept of education. I checked the guidelines and it made no mention of this, only that I (the applicant) should be living in Ireland.

Emailed the dept of Education and they confirmed that it was only myself who needed to prove residency so I'll get back to the county council on it.

Advertisement