Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

non start trooper

Options
  • 20-07-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

i have a '03 3ltr diesel trooper that wont start, no fault codes, disconnected the white wire for the rops,still not starting, pluged in diagnostics and no rail oil pressure. The dianostics recognoises rail oil pressure with the rops disconnected. Ive added 2 ltrs of oil and still no start. Ive removed the sump and checked both stainers but didnt see any problems.
    The engine will run on easy start so the timing is ok, Its an automatic so ive no oil pressure gauge on the dash. The oil pressure warning light on the dash was going out after loads of turning over on the starter but since ive cleaned the strainer its not goin out at all.
    The ecu was sent away for testing before i looked at the jeep and was supposedly repaired but i had to repair a burnt connection on the small plug with the heavy red wires going to it before the diagnostics would talk to it. I was told the the jeep just stoped, not sure if it was running and just stoped or if it was switched of and wouldnt restart. As usual beeing an irish jeep it has no service history or even a sticker to say when the last oil change was done. What do i check next?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Is there rail oil pressure showing on the diagnostics when the engine is stopped or does it go back to close to zero?

If it is showing a reading of higher than 1 when not turning over the rail pressure control will not open so it will not build pressure.

When the pumps are bad sometimes you will need to raise the front of the jeep to prime the 2 oil pumps. They are at the back of the engine and above the oil level

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

the rail pressure is showing 0.1 when the engine isnt turning. i think the reading is measured in mPa, whats that mean in bar?

i have an idea the oil pump for lubricating the engine isnt doing much, do they give much hastle?

Ill try jacking the jeep up and see how i get on and let you know, thanks

i was told to try and see if the rail oil pressure control valve piston was stuck, i think ill try that too, what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Theres two sensors that give information to the ECU about oil pressure.
    If one fails no fault is shown on the Tech2.

1. Rail pressure sensor is under the rocker cover in the middle of the rail.

2. Oil pressure control valve is at the passenger side of the engine AFAIK it's on the back of the oil pump.

*The rubbers on the oil strainers can perish over time so take them down and inspect/ replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

hiluxman wrote: »
    the rail pressure is showing 0.1 when the engine isnt turning. i think the reading is measured in mPa, whats that mean in bar?

i have an idea the oil pump for lubricating the engine isnt doing much, do they give much hastle?

Ill try jacking the jeep up and see how i get on and let you know, thanks
    Never seen a pump changed on one. Swing the engine over for a minute. Then leave it rest for a few seconds. Open the gold pipe from the pump to the rail and see if there is still pressure there. If there is you have a sensor problem. Usually the one on the rail.

*1 Mega Pascal is 10 Bar. Usually when the engine is running they are around 7 mPa.
    Whats happening is the injectors wont enable because the oil pressure is too low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

If the rail is showing .1 it is more than likely not the sensor.

Take off the oil feed pipe at the rail and turn over the engine, you should get a steady stream of oil to the rail. Check the end caps have not come loose on the rail as this can sometimes happen.

Check the 'o' ring between the pipe and the rail is not split.

The engine oil pumps are not a great job. They are in the aluminum sump section that houses the balance shaft under the main block. The aluminum wears.

We used to put the front wheels on a 4 poster and lift it til the back bumper touched the ground. When they were only new and the recall was on the turbo and the sump pipes they used to give this bother.

The oil light wouldn't go out til this was done.

What year is it?

The first ones had the ECU fused on the brake light circuit.

The second batch would also not start if the cam sensor was faulty. The last of them would start when cam sensor was faulty but would take longer than normal.

Is the RPM sensor rising to about 200 on cranking?

• Advertisement

ive checked the brake lights and they are working and ive also have rpm showing up on the diagnostics.
    thanks lads, very helpful info, ill see how i go tomorrow and let ya know

ive gotten that trooper sorted, it was the rail oil pressure control valve. the valve was stuck, freed it out and the jeep ran. the valve must be worn out, the jeep cuts out and wont start again, when you remove the valve its stuck again

Advertisement