Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backlinks Strategy: What to Prioritise?

Options
  • 20-07-2010 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I am doing some work on my company's SEO & I’m currently working on backlink generation strategy to boost our keyword rankings. The SEO has gone relatively well to date but it has been very much pot luck as I’m not entirely sure what are the right (or wrong) tasks to focus on.

I suppose there are 6 key areas where backlinks can be made:
    -Blogs
    -Social Bookmark sites
    -Directory Submission (always seemed a bit iffy...)
    -Article Submission
    -Forums
    -Social Network Sites

A ranking of importantance of these 6 would be much appreciated (purely from a direct backlinks perspective) + any further comments on what i should focus on.

I'm also not too keen on purchasing paid links (that too seems a bit dodge) but if anyone has had success with paid links let me know.

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Shaneod21

To be honest there are no right or wrong ways of obtaining backlinks. Having links from a variety of sources is paramount. What you should do is look at what your competition are doing, see where they obtain their links and you can replicate that to an extent.

In terms of directory links the best to get listed on are yahoo and dmoz. Getting listed on one of these will get your site on hundreds of other sites. What happens is the smaller directories scrape the bigger directories.

Also its important to note that there are quite a few different factors that need to be taken in to consideration when talking about the strength of a backlink. One in particular is the pr and age you obtained the link from, how many outgoing links there are etc.

It all depends on what sites your submitting to as it really needs to be taken in to account. Obtaining a link from an article directory far exceeds a link from an article directly that just scrapes content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LunchGuru

Thanks for your comments. Yes definitely pagerank is top priority when judging where to post a link (I generally don't post a link on anything with a pagerank lower than ours). I was just generally looking for a consensus of where to concentrate efforts but as you say the variety of sources is significant and indeed where else better to start than to examine what the competition have done to get to where they are.
    I will give directory submission another chance if you think it is beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

Ezine articles, squidoo, and hub pages are good places to start. They are pretty high in authority in googles eyes and will give you a good solid backlink from each one. Facebook pages are also a good way of getting a good authority backlink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LunchGuru

Thanks. Any advice on the use of directory sites? Waste of time because listings are hardly ever approved or worth putting effort into?? They are probably the quickest backlinks to create (as opposed to creating an imaginative, creative blog posting or blog reply...) and if you've any tips to counteract my scepticism about directories I'd love to know them.

Advertisement