Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New developments in Blanchardstown Library!

Options
  • 20-07-2010 11:50am
    Company Representative Posts: 328 Verified rep

Exciting times in Blanchardstown Library!!!!

Yesterday evening our four brand new "Self Issue" machines were delivered to the Library. They are currently being installed at the moment and we hope to roll out Self Service in this branch shortly.

Staff have been amazed at how easy the Self Service machines are to use and also how quickly items can be issued - if a borrower is borrowing 10 items, they place the stack of books on the reader all at once. The items are read on to the card all at the same time. No longer is there a need to scan each item individually - wait until you try it out, you are sure to find it very impressive!

The new Rush Library opened last week with "Self Issue" and their borrowers have found it really simple to operate.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055950148

PS> Mods, Sorry I started a new thread with this news as I felt such exciting information might have got lost if it was added on to the Blanchardstown Library thread - feel free to move it if you think it is better suited elsewhere.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sounds great Blanch Library! Will check them out soon.

Thanks for all your updates btw. We are lucky to have such a good library in our area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I don't think any machine can replace a librarian. Don't see how this is seen as progress?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Well for checking the books in and out I'm happy for myself to do it on a machine.

For queries/research/book recommendations I agree with you I like my Librarian in human form :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Are you not doing yourselves out of a job with this development! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I reckon it will be very hand when the place is busy, there either seems to be no ques or else a line of 8 people who appear all at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

This sounds cool.

When I lived in California my local library (Mountain View, near SF) had self service. It was great. This was back in 1998.

I saw self service in Cabra library back in 2001 but it disappeared soon afterwards.

I went to the library this morning and was shown how to return a book with the self service machine.

My book was accepted but the DVD wasn't. I guess that the electronic tag on it was wrong - the screen displayed a long number that didn't match the bar code on the DVD box. So, I was directed to the desk.

As the normal check-in/check-out desk spots have been closed, it was unclear as to where to go. The usual queue barriers are gone. I mentioned this to a staff member but I didn't get the feeling that he agreed with me or would pass it on.

I liked that I could easily see a list of my loans by pressing the "My Account" button and scanning my card. I could even get a printout by choosing to print a receipt.

daymobrew wrote: »
    As the normal check-in/check-out desk spots have been closed, it was unclear as to where to go. The usual queue barriers are gone. I mentioned this to a staff member but I didn't get the feeling that he agreed with me or would pass it on.

That's a pity, hate when you get that feeling! But Blanch Library seem to check in regularly here (judging by their post history) so your comment will be seen here at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Tried it out today, it's great, really quick and easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

I used it today as well....it was great. The kids loved checking out the books. It also gives a receipt which I can stick on the fridge so I know how many books we checked out and the return date.

• Advertisement

I used it today too. I thought it was brilliant.

I love the receipt too. Normally I'm running round the house trying to find the books and in particular trying to think of the names of the ones I can't find. This receipt will be really really handy for me.

amdublin wrote: »
    I love the receipt too. Normally I'm running round the house trying to find the books and in particular trying to think of the names of the ones I can't find. This receipt will be really really handy for me.
    The Borrower Information online is good for this too - like the receipt it lists the items and their due dates. And you can renew them.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

athtrasna wrote: »
    I don't think any machine can replace a librarian. Don't see how this is seen as progress?
    A sad day .....no librarian interaction!

Though I agree, the self serve is very easy to use. Blanch library are really so full of good initiatives. Thanks for keeping us boardsies posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Meat

The machine is replacing a service not a librarian. I'm sure librarians have more than just the one duty of checking in and out books.

Great addition to the library, I use self-service machines in my college library. Very swift.

• Company Representative Posts: 328 Verified rep BlanchLibrary

Thanks for all the comments about this new service!

Advertisement