Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting land for silage cut

  • 20-07-2010 12:18am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭


    Land was kept up at the end of May.

    Suitable for cutting silage.

    Straight cut of silage, no after grass

    owner of land sets grass only, buyer must pay for cutting grass

    Silage will be cut around middle of August- estimated time.

    How much per acre


Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig


    Tomjim wrote: »
    Land was kept up at the end of May.

    Suitable for cutting silage.

    Straight cut of silage, no after grass

    owner of land sets grass only, buyer must pay for cutting grass

    Silage will be cut around middle of August- estimated time.

    How much per acre

    Did it get fertilizer?

    We often buy by the bale and pay €6 to €8 per bale depending on the quality of the grass. If you take an average of 8 bales per acre, then you're looking at €64 for top end stuff.
    To be honest, first cut that has been growing for 2 1/2 months can't be of the top end quality, but should be fine for feeding cows so I'd be looking at it that way and paying as close to €50 per acre as I could.


  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1


    A neighbour took 75 bales off me in mid june. He arranged for cutting/baling/removing.
    We agreed a price of 7.50 per bale (bales were good size). I don't think the price was excessive as the cost to him was 18 euro per bale (10.50 +7.50). He only had to draw them half a mile or so.
    It was top quality stuff having been reseeded in the last 3 years.


  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265


    reilig wrote:
    Did it get fertilizer?

    reilig wrote:
    We often buy by the bale and pay €6 to €8 per bale depending on the quality of the grass. If you take an average of 8 bales per acre, then you're looking at €64 for top end stuff. To be honest, first cut that has been growing for 2 1/2 months can't be of the top end quality, but should be fine for feeding cows so I'd be looking at it that way and paying as close to €50 per acre as I could.


    Sorry to bring up old thread but I am wondering does this 6 to 8 Euro included fertilising off ground too?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭arctictree


    I have a deal with a neighbour where he makes hay bales on my ground and I get half of them. Who is winning/losing here?

    I was fed up with contractors cutting and baling in the rain and not giving a **** about quality. In this arrangement I know he is making good bales as he uses them himself.


  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭john mayo 10


    5 euro a bale i pay a neighbour here. I fertilise and he lets me put the cows in in September for a few weeks too


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Jimbo789


    How much per acre should I pay for a cut of silage? It’s good quality grass and the owner will be paying for the fertiliser and I can put on slurry and cut it whenever it suits me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265


    5 euro a bale i pay a neighbour here. I fertilise and he lets me put the cows in in September for a few weeks too


    I won't be getting to eat after grass so would 5 Euro a bale be to much with me fertilizing it too?


  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭john mayo 10


    massey265 wrote: »
    I won't be getting to eat after grass so would 5 Euro a bale be to much with me fertilizing it too?
    Not really. The neighbour is happy and im happy. 5 euro a bale is gud value even without the grazing. It suits me as i can graze my own land and not have to tie up land for silage


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000


    massey265 wrote: »
    Sorry to bring up old thread but I am wondering does this 6 to 8 Euro included fertilising off ground too?

    Mod note Work away, but some of those ppl are long gone so you won't be getting replies from them.

    If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.



  • Registered Users Posts: 13,212 ✭✭✭✭Danzy


    What's a typical rate for renting out silage ground, lad taking it is fertilizing. Aiming to cut in June.


    North West Cork.


    Good land . Grass resown in 2017.



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭wrangler


    Remember every bale removes €20 worth of N,P, K, from soil so if you've ten bales to the acre you know what you're facing.

    Your customer is likely to put either nitrogen or a high nitrogen compound out with very little P and K.

    In cheaper times I used to set overgrown paddocks at €10/bale and just use the money to buy 10 10 20 to go back on the same land.



Advertisement