Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What would you go for.....

Options
  • 19-07-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of gettting rid of the Avensis diesel I have at the moment. While I can't fault it in terms of doing its job and not making a fuss or costing me money, I think I want to get something a bit more upmarket.

Now I don't want an Octavia :) or a Passat, or a 320d, or an A4 or any of the usual suspects. I'm of the opinion that anything that people who don't necessarily know much about cars like is overvalued, and anything with a small-ish engine gets its price pushed up by people willing to pay over inflated prices.

So, what do I buy?
    I'm thinking probably pay something like 4k without the Avensis, I'm prepared to bargain hard :)

As it stands I'm thinking:
    Volvo S60 D5
    Rover 75 CDTI
    BMW 525 tds (or whatever they were called)
    Opel Omega TD (when did they stop making these?)
    Audi A6 2.5 TDI

Is there anything else I should consider? I know what I don't like, but maybe I've forgotten something I may actually like....

Would like leather, A/C or sunroof, and am open to the idea of an automatic. Like a bit of space but again am pretty flexible on this too for the right car.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

If i were to pick from the list above i'd have to go for the 75. Bmw engined, great performance, comfort and a bit of class, can be got fairly reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

wow that 02 has low miles !

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

a nice lexus is220d?? best to avoide the earlier models, think they had problems with their 1st diesel engines! but have it fixed now!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,137 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Does it have to be diesel?

• Advertisement

kennethk wrote: »
    a nice lexus is220d?? best to avoide the earlier models, think they had problems with their 1st diesel engines! but have it fixed now!

For €4k?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

More to consider:
    Alfa 156, 159, 166.
    Citreon C5, C6.
    Honda Accord.
    Lexus IS, LS.
    Merc C, E, S class.

bazz26 wrote: »
    For €4k?
    scrap that:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Volvo S60 D5 - Nice engine, very comfy, no rear legroom.

BMW 525 tds (or whatever they were called) - The TDS engine was crap as it was indirect injection. They're not very fuel efficient compared to a more modern diesel.

Opel Omega TD (when did they stop making these?) - Good car but the autoboxes aren't that reliable on these at this stage.

Audi A6 2.5 TDI - An auto in your price range would be plagued with autobox faults, they're notorious for them.

My instinct would be to import a 75 CDTI Contemporary SE ('01-'02).

• Advertisement

I think they stop making the omeaga's in 2003? open to correction though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Rover 75 CDTI

No... the're not well enough put together. Might have a good engine but you'll be sick of the electrics in no time... BIL has an 05 sitting at the house with 40K on the clock and it seems the electrics were designed by a stoneage moron and put together by his colourblind cousin.

I've driven the Accord 2.2 and they're savage, I have a Passat and the Honda is the only other car on the list I'd go for..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The only thing putting me off the 75 is its not that big. Haven't heard all that much bad about the reliability on the diesels.

I'm doing quite a lot of miles so diesel is a must.

Autobox not essential.

Merc c too small
    156 too risky (with the miles I'm doing, had alfa/fiat before, not anti Italian etc)

Accord out of price range.

Looking for value for money, substance over style. But with lots of toys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The only thing putting me off the 75 is its not that big. Haven't heard all that much bad about the reliability on the diesels.

I'm doing quite a lot of miles so diesel is a must.

Autobox not essential.

Merc c too small
    156 too risky (with the miles I'm doing, had alfa/fiat before, not anti Italian etc)

Accord out of price range.

Looking for value for money, substance over style. But with lots of toys.

E39?

Yeah. E39 would def be in the running. Is it a choice of 2.5 tds as fitted to older omega or 530d? Any other diesels. Dont wanna spend loads on tax if possible but if the right 530d came up, who knows

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

how about a 2002 PEUGEOT 607 2.2 HDi SE ??
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201022360228732/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/4000/model/607/make/peugeot/radius/1501/quicksearch/true/postcode/bt356ph/page/3?logcode=p
    86k miles, ABS, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Cruise control, Front armrest, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Rear armrest, Radio/Cassette, Side airbags, Radio/CD Multichanger, Rear headrests, 3x3 point rear seat belts, Audio remote control, Body coloured bumpers, Drivers airbag, Electric door mirrors, Front electric windows, Front fog lights, Front head restraints, Heated door mirrors, PAS, Rear electric windows, Steering wheel rake adjustment, Steering wheel reach adjustment, Trip computer, Electrically adjustable drivers seat, Electrically adjustable passenger seat, Service indicator, Reverse parking aid. Insurance Group:16, GREAT VALUE DIESEL WITH NICE MILES, FULL SERVICE HISTORY AND A GOOD SPEC INCLUDING CLIMATE, CD, INTEGRATED FACTORY FITTED PHONE SYSTEM AND CRUISE TO NAME BUT A FEW, £2,995.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 e36318is

Go for the e39 in a 520i...2.2 petrol.....straight 6 engine....Fairly economical .....The peugeot while loaded with gadgets will be harder to sell on in the long term.....Being french it will have inferior build quality compared to the BMW and believe me will suffer with electrical problems at some stage.....I had an e39 for nearly 2 years and it is a cracking car.....Compare reviews and the e39 was for years the best car in its class.....Go for the auto with leather if possible and its all the car you will ever need....

The 2.2 petrol doesn't appeal that much. Tbh id have the 2.2 diesel omega first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

You should bear in mind that the S60 is a 3 Series rival and therefore smaller than all the other cars. If you're looking for more of a barge of a similar size to the rest, the bigger S80 is relatively the same car except longer.

I know I'm probably biased, but the S60 is a fantastic car and that D5 engine was very good for its time. It's a proper Volvo with no Ford connections and I'd seriously consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I'd go for the S60. Understated, classy, powerful, supremely comfortable and miles better looking than the S80. With the right wheels/colour combo it's one of the best looking medium execs out there. That said I've no direct of what they're like to live with but I'd take a chance if I were you. Hard to find a diesel within budget though unless you go to the UK. Don't get one without leather either.

The Peugeot could be a good buy too. Lots of car for the money and a great engine. The car should be reliable and any electrical problems would be minor I'd wager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

406 Couple with the 2.2 HDi engine maybe? Bit smaller but should be pretty reliable, decent boot and looks gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Alfa 156 with the 2.4 jtd? Or 166 if you can find one! I'd put my faith in Alfa a lot quicker than Rover, despite all the 75 owners on boards trying to convince people otherwise! Too much experience with the last company I worked with and many Rover 75's have taught me all I want to know about them.
    Failing that, I'd go for the Volvo. Nice engine, comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

My vote goes to the Peugeot 607 Hdi. If its comfort and economy you want look no further.
    A late gen 607 will have very few electrical problems. Old wives tales of French cars still exist, as I have read here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Saab 9-3?

This one looks good (if the details are all correct!) 03, Irish car, 65k, single owner, 2.2TiD (I think) - ad says 4,950... http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=3865676#
    EX_13375_28198852281_2007_02.jpg

Paddy

the 2.2 diesel unit - yer kiddin right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I know several people who have had nothing but heartache from Rovers of all models and age. Nothing is reliable about them, they appear to have been put together by a 5 year old, the electrics will eventually stop working and they seem to break down a lot. Personally I wouldnt touch one with a 40 foot barge pole...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

for all the toys on the peugeot there is no leather seats and for that reason i wouldnt buy it

that was only 1 example, there's plenty of them available with leather in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

persoanlly i like the idea of the Omega.....

very very comfy car to drive, big and spacious, get one with leather and the toys and they are very sweet. the Diesel is very good on fuel.. only thing is that they are hard to come by here, Uk or North would be best bet...

• Advertisement
Advertisement