Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A6

Options
  • 19-07-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi
    I was thinking of Buying a Audi A6 .Anyone have any info on the 2ltr tdi .
    What are they like on diesal,are the parts expensive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

What Year ?

Older ones have issues with the multitronic system (auto).
    Service-shop around I got mine for €200.
    Its not bad on diesel newer 2008+ models are much more efficent and cheaper road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'm looking at A6's myself:cool:. Same 2.0 TDi your after. Have not heard many bad things about them. But I admit I don't know much about them either. 06' maybe 07' I'm after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Forgive the question. But why an A6. Its like an A5 except uglier. I don't get the appeal of the A6. Can you guys shed light ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

2 litre introduced around 2005, likes oil, early ones aren't that reliable, over 100k miles expect large bills for things like intercoolers etc...

Forgive the question. But why an A6. Its like an A5 except uglier. I don't get the appeal of the A6. Can you guys shed light ?
    I'm not the biggest A6 fan, but I have to say I really don't get the A5 appeal at all. I think it's mank, from the B-pillar back it's pure muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Great A6 bargain to be had last week in Merlin auctions. 08 silver full leather interior 24.5k. Thought it was the bargain of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

I'm on my second A6 current model & cant really fault them - have actually gone from the 2.0 TDI to the 2.0T over time.

Common problems with the TDI include MAF, DPF and turbo failure if the car hasn't been well maintained. Timing belt should have been done at 80k miles/120k kms

Problem with the TDIs in Ireland is they tend to be basic spec - to be worthwhile it must have leather & the multitronic gear box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

It's horses for courses I guess.

The A6 is a fair bit bigger than the 5-series, and a bit more comfortable on the road, so if those are factors then you'd choose it for that.

If you like the image of Audis over Mercs, then that would be a reason to buy one.

Without meaning to derail the thread, I'm not sure what you're comparing it to so can't really say what the pros and cons are relative to anything else.

Sometimes people just like different cars than others (thank God, imagine how boring it would be if we all drove the same thing!). If the OP likes the A6, then more power to him.

-Chris- wrote: »

The A6 is a fair bit bigger than the 5-series, and a bit more comfortable on the road, so if those are factors then you'd choose it for that.

If you like the image of Audis over Mercs, then that would be a reason to buy one.

Without meaning to derail the thread, I'm not sure what you're comparing it to so can't really say what the pros and cons are relative to anything else.

Sometimes people just like different cars than others (thank God, imagine how boring it would be if we all drove the same thing!). If the OP likes the A6, then more power to him.
    2.7cm longer hardly makes for a fair bit bigger! They're practically the same size, the 5-series and A6. In some ways I actually find the 5 feels a little more spacious.
    The A6 would have a more comfortable set-up to the 5 alright, the 5 would gear itself more towards driving dynamics, which makes it a little less yeilding on poor surfaces. So it's a choice as to which people like!

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I'm not the biggest A6 fan, but I have to say I really don't get the A5 appeal at all. I think it's mank, from the B-pillar back it's pure muck.

Wow I think the A5 is one of the best looking cars on the road (certinaly in the sort of exec saloon field).

Yeah I just don't get why but an a6 over a four door a5. A5 is pretty big anyhow and looks a lot sportier.

Sorry I don't mean to derail the thread its just something I have been wondering lately. I can see the appeal of the a3, a4 and a5 (and the new a1) and of course the TT and R8, but when it comes to the a6 and a8 I am stumpted as to what the market appeal is. Personally I couldn't see reason to spend the extra cash.

Anyhow - forgive me OP for the temporary hijack of your thread. I leave in peace for you thread to continue !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Bobby A

Hi
    Thanks to all for help

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Great A6 bargain to be had last week in Merlin auctions. 08 silver full leather interior 24.5k. Thought it was the bargain of the night.

Why is that a bargain. To me, it appears to be overpriced for auction considering there are lines of them on carzone from low 20k up including sport & sat nav models

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

mickdw wrote: »
    Why is that a bargain. To me, it appears to be overpriced for auction considering there are lines of them on carzone from low 20k up including sport & sat nav models

Exactly mick you would get a 09 in a dealer for that. Cash price of course. OP avoid the se model and get the s-line. Mick actually pointed this out to be before and I drove one since. It was terrible. It was like sitting in one of those machines that seperates big stones from smaller stones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Wow I think the A5 is one of the best looking cars on the road (certinaly in the sort of exec saloon field).

I am one of the few people I know that prefers an A6 over an A4, but I definitely agree with this statement, the A5 is an absolutely stunning car.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Yeah I just don't get why but an a6 over a four door a5. A5 is pretty big anyhow and looks a lot sportier.

A5 sportback only has 4 seats, so A6 has a fair bit more to offer space wise.

Why does anyone go for a mondeo over the focus, the 5 series over the 3, the A6 over the A4.

Personally I don't get why people buy saloons at all. It's a nice 2 door coupe or straight to an estate for me.

The A6 avant is very practical with massive load space. A nice 3.0TDI quattro would be sweet. The audi avants in general are the best looking estates in the market. Especially compared to the monstrosities that merc and bmw come out with.

My only issue with the A6 is that it's pretty dated looking at this stage.

copacetic wrote: »
    A5 sportback only has 4 seats, so A6 has a fair bit more to offer space wise.

The A6 only has 4 seats too ?! Besides have you been in an A5 - its huge anyhow. Space is not an issue.

Why does anyone go for a mondeo over the focus, the 5 series over the 3, the A6 over the A4.

Personally I don't get why people buy saloons at all. It's a nice 2 door coupe or straight to an estate for me.

The A6 avant is very practical with massive load space. A nice 3.0TDI quattro would be sweet. The audi avants in general are the best looking estates in the market. Especially compared to the monstrosities that merc and bmw come out with.

My only issue with the A6 is that it's pretty dated looking at this stage.

If you want a proper estate car the RS6 Avant is the one you want :D
    Ridiculous car. 500 break horse power ridiculous! Ridiculous in a good way :D

The A6 only has 4 seats too ?! Besides have you been in an A5 - its huge anyhow. Space is not an issue.

The A6 has 5 seats. A centre seat in back suitable for a child or an adult for short journeys. It can carry 5 people legally with seat belts. The lack of that seat in the A5 can be an issue for a lot of people. You also can't properly fold the back seats for wide loads in the boot.

I've been in the A5 a fair bit, it's not huge.

The A6 has 5 seats. A centre seat in back suitable for a child or an adult for short journeys. It can carry 5 people legally with seat belts. The lack of that seat in the A5 can be an issue for a lot of people. You also can't properly fold the back seats for wide loads in the boot.

I've been in the A5 a fair bit, it's not huge.

Sure can you not sit someone in the middle in an a5 also ?

Sure can you not sit someone in the middle in an a5 also ?

no. there is no seat, no footwell, and no seat belt.

A5-S-Line-Rear-Seats.jpg
    033__scaled_600_013.jpg

I've sat in ones that don't have that - the sportback 4 door one I believe. They are not all like you show.

• Advertisement

Yes they are. I've never see an option for a 5th seatbelt.

If you can find it in the product guide, you're a better man than I
    http://www.audi.ie/etc/medialib/ngw/ie/product_guides.Par.0048.File.pdf/product_guide_audi.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

http://www.audi.ie/etc/medialib/ngw/ie/product_guides.Par.0048.File.pdf/product_guide_audi.pdf

I believe Cartronics would do a 5 seat conversion to one if you wanted, but I've no idea why you'd want that, or how safe it would be.

The A5 Sportback is more expensive than the entry level A6, infact I think you'd have about 1,000 euro change from an A6 S-Line (136) compared to either the A5 Sportback 143 SE Multi, or the 170bhp Manual.

A5 Sportback is just a hatch A4 so isn't competing against the A6/5 Series/E-Class.

Retrofit seatbelts? Jesus, I'm not sure if I'd ever have the bottle to go ahead with that...

You are correct that there i not option for a 5th seat belt. But the sportback model has a smooth seat like area in the middle instead of a little cubby hole. Its different to the non sportback models.

From the Topgear review of A5 sportback:
    TopGear wrote:
    Appropriately, we'll start in the back. Swing open a rear door, plonk yourself inside and all seems pretty normal. Legroom is the same as the A4 saloon and headroom is compromised by just 5mm, which isn't a bad payoff for that sloping roofline. But look closer and you'll notice the lack of a middle seatbelt. Audi is selling this thing as a four-seater, which would be fine if the rear seats were artistically sculpted to cuddle your torso. But they're not. It's just a regular bench with a raised cushion where the middle seat would usually be. In other words, it's an incredibly lazy attempt to imitate a four-seat coupe, at the expense of practicality. Who will it impress?

Photo hear:
    http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://image.motortrend.com/f/auto-news/best-of-both-worlds-audi-a5-sportback-finally-bows-still-not-available-in-us/23530901%2Bw750/audi-a5-sportback-rear-seats.jpg&imgrefurl=http://wot.motortrend.com/6531913/auto-news/best-of-both-worlds-audi-a5-sportback-finally-bows-still-not-available-in-us/photo_01.html&usg=__3eD0iM00TLtpbodUyV9uvQNWy4s=&h=469&w=750&sz=36&hl=en&start=2&itbs=1&tbnid=Smg7PbVFJrHjoM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=141&prev=/images%3Fq%3Da5%2Bsportback%2Bback%2Bseat%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26prmdo%3D1%26tbs%3Disch:1

So the space is there for a middle seat, and a soft cushion bit. Just no seat belt.

Ok so now I understand why people go for the a6. I am educated fellow boardsies. And also - I guess why they have left out the seat belt is so the a5 sportback won't compete with the a6 market. Still if I had that kind of cash i'd still get an a5 coupe or a bmw. I woudln't get an a6 - they are too....beached whale like for me.

So the space is there for a middle seat, and a soft cushion bit. Just no seat belt.
    Ok so now I understand why people go for the a6. I am educated fellow boardsies. And also - I guess why they have left out the seat belt is so the a5 sportback won't compete with the a6 market. Still if I had that kind of cash i'd still get an a5 coupe or a bmw. I woudln't get an a6 - they are too....beached whale like for me.

It's not just missing a belt, there is abslolutely no leg room at all, the centre console comes back to within a couple of inches of the seat.

It's not just missing a belt, there is abslolutely no leg room at all, the centre console comes back to within a couple of inches of the seat.

True. But ultimately that wouldn't stop someone sitting with a leg to each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Ah well, the A5 is still a great looking car. My car only has 2 seats. I don't care as long as there's room for me to enjoy the drive.:)

I guess it just depends how many seats you need. I guess if I was looking for a family car thou I go down the golf/a3/passat/a4/seat/skoda/toyota corolla/avensis route with the choice made by year/cost/extras for the price. I honestly couldn't be bothered spending money on an a6 for a kid to vomit on it. Besides I think I'd have other I'd need to spend the extra cash on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Bobby A wrote: »
    Hi
    I was thinking of Buying a Audi A6 .Anyone have any info on the 2ltr tdi .
    What are they like on diesal,are the parts expensive

Very comon oil pump fault in the 2.0 tdi. Not sure which engine, but to answer your question, yes, parts are very expensive.
    €2.5k for a buddys A6 oil pump replacement. (2.0 tdi). That was the second time the car cost him thousands in repairs. He will never again buy an Audi.
    I don't think that it is an isolated incident either, I'm sorry to say.
    I have had the same type of experience with VW. Diesel too by the way.

There are a lot of big costs with repairing a new technology Diesel engine. Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) will cost your the guts of a grand. They all wear out over time. Any injector issue will cost you big as well - each injector is over €500, just for the part. They work at such high pressures and low tolerences, there is no room for error and cost a fortune to manufacture.
    When the run well, they are indeed very hard to beat. Especially for economy. Thew engines are incredibly effecient. But, alas, there is a cost to this technology.
    Unfortunaly it seems to be reliability.

• Advertisement
Advertisement