Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner

Options
  • 19-07-2010 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. I'm interested in doing some fishing. I live a few minutes away from the Dodder but I'd also like to do some sea fishing in Dun Laoghaire. Mainly spinning. I've fished before on other peoples rods and enjoyed it but now I want one of my own. Anyone know what gear I should get? I also don't want to spend too much money since I'm just a student.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 philhway

Hey,

Looks like you've been waiting a while for a reply....interested in exactly the same thing - looking to get started with a cheap/reasonable set up for mainly pier fishing - if anyone could let me know what gear to get (rod length, tackle, bait etc) that would be great.

Cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Taking these together ...

Well for pier fishing a heavy spinning rod is suitable.
    That would be 8-10 feet long, have a spinning reel that contains 150 metres of approx 12-15lbs bs line, and be suitable for casting 30 - 60grams/1 - 2 oz. Much of your fishing will be with 1-1.5oz of lead and feathers, or a spinner/spoon of similar weight.

For the Dodder that above rod would be very, very strong, and not really all that suitable. Casting weights of 1/16th - 1/4 oz or 2g - 8g are what would work on the Dodder which is quite a small stream.
    But a fly rod and reel with a floating line would be a more interesting alternative for the Dodder, and would catch more fish during the summer when the water is low and clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 philhway

cheers coolwings

Advertisement