Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 1 / Desire games

Options
  • 19-07-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

OK, so, when i got my Desire it occurred to me fairly early on that it would make a great casual gaming platform.

Having tried lots of games from various sources I have to say I haven't found anything more than mildly diverting for 5 minutes. Action games don't work because of the vagaries of touch/tilt input, and everything else I've seen is a bubble bobble/tetris/tower defense/some other clone. It's all been done before and better is my verdict.

I remember owning PCs with less CPU/GPU horsepower that had some excellent games (xcom/elite/BG anyone?).

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, or maybe it's too early in the platform's lifecycle, but i can't find anything that'll keep me busy while the missus tries on shoes!

Anyway, I'd love to know what you guys think - am i missing something, or is it sit back and wait time? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm not into bubbles either. I find Air Control is incredibly addictive, and makes great use of the touch screen (even if it is quite simple in terms of graphics/variety).

We might have to wait for the paid apps market before we can get to play some proper games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Depends what you're into.
    Assuming you have access to paid apps:

Flying: Skies of glory (absolutely awesome)
    Racing: Raging Thunder 2
    Top-scrolling shooter: Radiant
    Mindless shooting: Heavy Gunner
    Lemmings-esque: Fuzzies (or mechanics)
    Puzzle: I dunno, not into puzzles. Maybe Totemo?

I'd also recommend Let's Golf from Gameloft's own store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Even on the paid market though there is not much. I dont really play much games on my phone but still would be nice to see some good 3d games

Don't forget that there will be a playstation emulator out soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

Depends what you're into.
    Assuming you have access to paid apps:

Flying: Skies of glory (absolutely awesome)
    Racing: Raging Thunder 2
    Top-scrolling shooter: Radiant
    Mindless shooting: Heavy Gunner
    Lemmings-esque: Fuzzies (or mechanics)
    Puzzle: I dunno, not into puzzles. Maybe Totemo?

I'd also recommend Let's Golf from Gameloft's own store.

Nice one - i have MarketAccess so I'll start working through these recommendations ..

• Advertisement

Nice one - i have MarketAccess so I'll start working through these recommendations ..

There's demos of most of those anyway.

Other honorable mentions off the top of my head to add are GoGo Rescue Squad (silly platform puzzler), wordup! (word finder), and ExZeus (old school rail-shooter).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Keith186

The golf hd game which has a link in a self titled forum below its not a bad game for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

Don't forget that there will be a playstation emulator out soon. :)

That will be a joyous day indeed :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

+1 for Let's Golf. Anytime Pool seems pretty good too, only just started playing it, seems you can play online against friends also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I just use snesoid and gensoid to play old roms. Huge library of great games available that won't cost you anything (um, provided you own the original cartridge of the game of course).

The controls can be a little tricky so I've stuck to the simpler games for now. Sonic is a game that works particularly well on the phone since you just need to use the d-pad to move and one button to jump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I like Abduction

I just use snesoid and gensoid to play old roms. Huge library of great games available that won't cost you anything (um, provided you own the original cartridge of the game of course).

The controls can be a little tricky so I've stuck to the simpler games for now. Sonic is a game that works particularly well on the phone since you just need to use the d-pad to move and one button to jump.

Should got yourself a Milestone so you could use the game gripper! Makes Emulators perfect to play. Cannot WAIT for PS1.

game-gripper-motorola-droid.jpg

Advertisement