Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a quality case of wine

Options
  • 19-07-2010 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a case of wine as a birthday present. This person would enjoy their glass of wine and would probably know a nice wine from a not so nice one!

Given that i know very little about wine, i was hoping someone could recommend a quality case of wine. I'm thinking the budget may be around 150 euro.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

At the risk of being outed as a shill, this one at €114. Nice mix of well known styles and a few quirky ones. Free delivery too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭gnolan

r0nanf wrote: »
    At the risk of being outed as a shill, this one at €114. Nice mix of well known styles and a few quirky ones. Free delivery too. :)

Thanks for that, but i will wait to see some other replies hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 spaceoddity

I'd say your best bet would be to check out some of the more well known off-licences online to see what kind of case deals they do - they could have some prepared, or they could talk to you about who you are buying for, and should be able to suggest a few wines to meet your budget and would hopefully sit well with the recipient.
    Go in to one or two of your 'local' wine shops and see what they say too. I work in a wine shop and we get a good few customers like yourself looking for gifts for friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Karwig wines are very good - delivery will cost you €9.50, though on orders under €200
    They are a very good company with some very good wines (one of the few who with a good German range, for instance) if you were to go with these guys, phone up and ask for Joe or Betty and they will advise you.

James Nicholson have an amazing list and are a reputable company too (free delivery over €150)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

If you have a decent off-licence near you I would suggest popping into to them and ask them to advise you and do you up a case. Ask to have them in a wooden box that some quality wines arrive in, adds a nice touch. IF they are any good they will give you 5-10% off for buying 12 bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I buy regularly from wines direct (no connection, just a customer) and their 'introductory tasting case' is good value, and some very nice wines.

Hope this link works http://www.winesdirect.ie/searchresult.aspx?hideme=Y
    its 156euro and contains a good mix of styles and some excellent wines for the price, in particular the Macon, and the l'Hortus.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm stuck between the following three and hoping you guys can help out:

1. Dievole Novecento Riserva Chianti Classico 1999 (1500ml)

2. Bertani Amarone 2000

3. Torbreck Descendant

So, are you going for a case, or just for an expensive bottle of wine?

So, are you going for a case, or just for an expensive bottle of wine?

I have decided on just a single bottle

Cool - I haven't tried any of those wines, but I have met Dave Powell, winemaker and owner of Torbreck, at a tasting. Huge fan of his wines, and the guy himself is a legend! :P
    The thing to consider now would be if the birthday guy or gal prefers old world over new world, or if they're adventurous and always trying something new and different.

• Advertisement

The answer to that is i haven't a clue! I am veering towards the Torbreck simply because of the review from that American wine critic Parker. But having said that, i'm open to more qualified reasoning from other posters.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

gnolan wrote: »
    This person would enjoy their glass of wine and would probably know a nice wine from a not so nice one!

Don't suppose you know the type of wine they usually drink?
    I like wine, but I LOVE wine that has been stored in a barrel for at least a year.
    There are light, medium and heavy wines.
    I'd prefer one fantastic bottle of wine to six ok ones.
    When I win the lotto, I will drink Chateau Margaux on a daily basis.
    I will move next door to the vineyard. Hell I might just buy it!
    Anyway, one bottle of Chateau Margaux and they will love you forever. (If you can find on for that price)

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Don't suppose you know the type of wine they usually drink?
    I like wine, but I LOVE wine that has been stored in a barrel for at least a year.
    There are light, medium and heavy wines.
    I'd prefer one fantastic bottle of wine to six ok ones.
    When I win the lotto, I will drink Chateau Margaux on a daily basis.
    I will move next door to the vineyard. Hell I might just buy it!
    Anyway, one bottle of Chateau Margaux and they will love you forever. (If you can find on for that price)

I'm not sure about the wine they usually drink. The only red wine left in the house is Merlot, and i don't know if that is because they like it or left the worst til last!

I don know if these fall into the category you are talking about?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

gnolan wrote: »
    I don know if these fall into the category you are talking about?

No. Those vineyards maybe located in and around the Chateau, but they are not from the Chateau Margaux vineyard. (Cheapest bottle I ever got of Chateau Margaux was €138, and that was in France)

I also love wines from the Saint Emilion Region of France. (More affordable)
    If you find bottles with the rating of "Grand Cru" or "Grand Cru Classé", then it's going to be a good bottle.

Think i've decided on the Torbreck Descendant. Has got great reviews and is within my price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Have not had the Desendent but have had a couple other Tourbrecks and they are excellent. ENded up buying a few of these and was very impressed with the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That sounds like a great bottle and one that I would love to get as a present.
    But be warned, there are people out there who only rate French wine - particularly Bordeaux and Bourgogne and will turn their nose up at anything else - especially New World wines.
    Just be sure that your friend isn't one of these narrow minded people.

I know that if you gave that bottle to my brother in law, it would end up in his garage for some years and eventually he'd have a clearout and give it to me!!
    It wouldn't dawn on him that it might be a quality wine and he'd presume that you got it in the local Centra:eek:

Have not had the Desendent but have had a couple other Tourbrecks and they are excellent. ENded up buying a few of these and was very impressed with the quality.

If you like the Juveniles, you really should invest in The Steading!
    (despite what it says on the label, The Steading is named after the winemaker's favourite pub in Edinburgh.)

Advertisement