Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Also looking to join a club

Options
  • 19-07-2010 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

I would have posted in the other thread but don't want to go hijacking anyone's thread.

I'm looking to join a tennis club, perhaps with two other friends. The particular club i'm looking at joining is Carrickmines. I have sent them off an email but have got no reply as of yet. I have some general questions.

Would anyone know how much i would be expected to pay? Are these clubs in anyway exclusive? By that, i mean would you expected to be a quality player? Would you also be expected to take part in any leagues that are running? This i would like, provided it was suitable to my skill level.

Another option is Westwood, which has the bonus of a gym, but i'm not sure i could afford the total cost.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Hi! I started the other thread and had pretty much the same concerns and questions! I visited the club I want to join and spole to the coach who reassured me a lot. The cost of this particular club is 300 euros - a couple of others I looked at in my area are something similar. I was really worried because I really just want to play for enjoyment and not worry about am I good enough to be playing at a club but I have to say the coach really reassured me - people start at all levels of ability and are grouped accordingly, for coaching, competitions etc. Also involvement in all of this is up to the individual but they seem to cater for a lot of tastes, including those who want to play matches socially and non-competitively.
    It's my first week there this week so I'm probably not best placed to be giving advice :D but I would def suggest visiting the club and talking to the coach/manager to reassure yourself and have your questions answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭gnolan

Hi! I started the other thread and had pretty much the same concerns and questions! I visited the club I want to join and spole to the coach who reassured me a lot. The cost of this particular club is 300 euros - a couple of others I looked at in my area are something similar. I was really worried because I really just want to play for enjoyment and not worry about am I good enough to be playing at a club but I have to say the coach really reassured me - people start at all levels of ability and are grouped accordingly, for coaching, competitions etc. Also involvement in all of this is up to the individual but they seem to cater for a lot of tastes, including those who want to play matches socially and non-competitively.
    It's my first week there this week so I'm probably not best placed to be giving advice :D but I would def suggest visiting the club and talking to the coach/manager to reassure yourself and have your questions answered.

Hi there,

I've contacted some places and have got back prices that are astronomical. One user was nice enough to PM me. Tempelogue, although its out of my way, comes in at 735 for the first year, which is too much for me.

With that in mind, imagine my dismay upon contacting Carrickmines tennis club, and finding out that membership for me will cost 1103 Euro! I'm yet to contact Westwood, but am dreading something similar. Beginning to think it might be cheaper to build a court!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

gnolan wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've contacted some places and have got back prices that are astronomical. One user was nice enough to PM me. Tempelogue, although its out of my way, comes in at 735 for the first year, which is too much for me.

With that in mind, imagine my dismay upon contacting Carrickmines tennis club, and finding out that membership for me will cost 1103 Euro! I'm yet to contact Westwood, but am dreading something similar. Beginning to think it might be cheaper to build a court!
    There are loads of clubs in the general area, a list of Dublin clubs can be found here:
    http://www.leinstertennis.ie/club.php?county=Dublin
    Try a few of them. Small clubs can be the best for beginners to be honest, both from a cost point of view, and participation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 owensomers

Carrickmines is exclusive and expensive. Try Leapordstown or CYM in Trerenure are offering 6 months for under €100

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Choc123

Hi folks.

I, like some of you, have looked around for clubs in Dublin.

I really think Charleville in Phibsboro has gone under the radar as a club worth joining.

Student membership is €175 per year which is quite reasonable compared to other Dublin clubs.
    And senior membership is very reasonable too.
    But I know it has been previously difficult for students to play in Dublin with no facilities on campuses.
    They have a great emphasis on getting people involved and have so many social and competitive events. They also provide all new members with a list of players to play with.
    Charleville has five savana courts, enters plenty of league teams, has a nice bar with a great pint of Guinness and runs competitions throughout the year.

Need any more info - pm me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement