Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone mobile broadband in limerick

Options
  • 19-07-2010 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Just thought I would let people know this, I got Vodafone broadband 3 weeks ago on contract with no limit. 25 euros a month. The first week I was getting 4-6mb . after this it went down to 1mb. I didnt move the modem so i rang customer care and they said 1mb is still acceptable. still the same for the next 2 weeks . Went to the vodafone store and put my laptop beside the one in the store, tested both , the store was getting 4.5 and i was getting 1mb.They said that it was because reception differs even though they were 1 inch apart. I followed to cancel my account , and they charged me over 300 euros, because it was after my 1 week cooling off period which was about as long as i had good speed(what a coincidence).

Just said I would post this as a warning , stay away from vodafone.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Stay away from 3 broadband as well while you're at it. All that mobile broadband is crap really, only good for when your on a train or something and you need to send an urgent email. Even at that its not entirely reliable either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Stay away from 3 broadband as well while you're at it. All that mobile broadband is crap really, only good for when your on a train or something and you need to send an urgent email. Even at that its not entirely reliable either.

You would think in this day and age we would have Wi-fi on our trains!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭djdunny

OP how long after you took out the contract did you contact customer care?? was it within the week or was it outside?

you could try and argue that you were on to CC within the week to complain about the service.

if you were outside the week then im afraid you're stuck with the hefty termination charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Try raising it as an issue in the Talk To Vodafone forum here on boards and see what they say.... can't hurt to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

I use 3 mobile broadband and never have problems with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

I had 3 for about five months and cancelled the account as the speed was terrible, only last Thursday i signed up on contract with Vodafone and the speed has been much improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

3 mobile pretty much dies when you leave the city. have tried to use it on trains and it only seems to work shortly before, during or after stops.

between Limerick City and the Junction you may as well be using smoke signals .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

A lady i know asked me to set this up for her a few months ago. Couldn't believe how slow it was. Was as bad as dial up. Went to find out why it was slow so and the only answer they had was the weather could be affecting it and if the weather was better the signal would be better. We live in Ireland for christ sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ferrari.f

I had 3 for about five months and cancelled the account as the speed was terrible, only last Thursday i signed up on contract with Vodafone and the speed has been much improved.

wait untill next thursday , the speed will drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Olaf

They charged you over 300 euro to cancel the account!
    How long was the contract for? A year at 25 euro would have been 300. I assume the contract wasn't longer than that. Sounds a bit crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

I`ve had Vodafone, 3, O2 all in Castleconnel and they are all a joke shop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wireless broadband is hit and miss at best outside of large urban areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

Here's a suggestion for anyone suffering mobile b/band issues with coverage/reception - after MUCH arguing in the shop where I bought the mobile b/band for a friend (I wanted to return it, unused and unopened, bought only the day before, as I had seen a Megathread on coverage issues, to name but one)

Aswell as that my fully legitimate issue was that their download usage allowance was about to drop from 7mb to 5mb (or something) only a week later and I bought it on the pretext that their usage was higher than other providors, yet they had not displayed this new 'cut' in the shop nor was it said to me at time of sale.

Anyway, after almost an hour of getting nowhere it was 'admitted' to me that should I wish to avail of a refund (which yes I f-in well DID) that I should 'find' an area in my/my friends home which does not have ANY coverage, then call their customer service there and then (which they'd be able to 'see' online 'live' and 'verify' that you had none, therefore giving you grounds for a refund.
    I suggested I cover the dongle with a few thick socks (thus garaunteeing no coverage) to the salesman "I mean, I said, how would anyone know what I'd done?" Haha!
    He looked at me like I had split the Atom! :D
    I like to think so anyway!

This would be an 'alternative' shall we say to returning yer Dongle,
    if it were pre-paid (pay as you go) should you be grossly unsatisfied
    with it!
    Nevermind getting them to test in the shop - they'll always be one up you, so now you go be one up them!

Also I've heard that you can get yer Dongle 'unlocked' same as a mobile phone, so that you can change over to another provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ferrari.f

Suprise suprise, start of a new billing month and my connection went back up to 4 mb , also checked how much i downloaded last month, 1.4gb, doesnt seem too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

bazz26 wrote: »
    Wireless broadband is hit and miss at best outside of large urban areas.

Yeah - i have vodafone and never had any issues at both sides of the city but jesus go to tipperary and it's like the fcuking stone age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

It's mobile broadband on a 3G network. It doesnt matter most of the time which operator your on as the speed is determined by several variables. The amount of users on a 3G cell, the weather conditions and the signal strength. It's never going to be a stable connection.
    3 mobile pretty much dies when you leave the city. have tried to use it on trains and it only seems to work shortly before, during or after stops.

Yeah but meteor is even worse. There is no 3G coverage outside the cities in the republic. GPRS is worse than dialup at times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 shevaun83

Hey guys,

I currently have Vodafone Mobile Broadband. I have to say that I am reasonably pleased with the speed of the broadband but am dying to change because of repeated brutal customer service.

I have tried out O2 and the coverage was dire in my house.

How is 3? I am reticient to try because I am unsure if they have a no questions return policy.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks, Siobhan.

Advertisement