Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DALF C1 Prep: Formal classes vs informal "classes" with French native speakers

Options
  • 19-07-2010 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Has anyone done the DALF C1? Given that I have a limited amount of time per week to study French, which of the above routes would be most effective? I realise that the ideal is to do both but I don't think I'll have the time. The class is 4 hours per week. My B2 result is in the seventies - from strongest to weakest mark: written comp, oral prod, oral comp, written prod ( my fault - ran out of time on the writing :(). So of the 4 skills, writing is the weakest. Speaking with native speakers has been of great benefit in the past and I tend to read French novels anyway.On the other hand group classes are good for motivation and teacher has in depth knowledge of exam plus exam strategy. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

I have completed the DELF Level B2 in France with a score in the high 80's without ever taking a class. The reason for this was that I was in France at the time and was completely submerged in the french language and culture.

Because of my high score without spending the silly money that a lot of people I knew did indeed do, the co-ordinator of the exams said I should of gone for the DALF C2 as according to her, it's pretty much the same as the B2 except the written is marked much harder.

If I were you I would sign up to the classes (as I will be, they start the end of September and cost about €570 which is a lot but comes under €10 an hour)

Like you I need to brush up on my writing skills so it will definitely be worth it and you could always join one of those conversation groups that seem to meet on Wednesday evenings (their website is quite difficult to navigate)*

I know it's a pain but I think it should be worth it at the end as the Alliance Française would be well used to preparing students to pass the exam!

Hope this has helped!

*Depends are you going to the Dublin branch?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Ginkgo

Well done on your B2 score. How much time did you spend living in France?

I'm still not sure which route to take - informal "classes" with native speakers or the C1 class, given that I have a limited time each week to spend on French. I want to choose the most effective method in order to make the most of my time. For example I am pretty sure I will get more speaking practice by spending time with French native speakers than in a class. Also the four hour class on Saturdays is a big commitment. I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone who has taken the C1 class or the exam.

I picked up a copy of the following book:Activités pour le cadre européen de référence C1-C2 and my first impression is that the listening is not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Ginkgo wrote: »
    Well done on your B2 score. How much time did you spend living in France?

I'm still not sure which route to take - informal "classes" with native speakers or the C1 class, given that I have a limited time each week to spend on French. I want to choose the most effective method in order to make the most of my time. For example I am pretty sure I will get more speaking practice by spending time with French native speakers than in a class. Also the four hour class on Saturdays is a big commitment. I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone who has taken the C1 class or the exam.

I picked up a copy of the following book:Activités pour le cadre européen de référence C1-C2 and my first impression is that the listening is not too bad.

Spent about a year and a half in France before I took the exam. I think the classes would probably be the best for you, from what it seems the oral and aural aren't a problem for you so I do think that the written would be better covered in the alliance classes than chatting with friends.

Where did you get that book? I had the official CIEP book and found it ok but not great. Was it online or is there a bookshop in Dublin selling them?

There is a copy of "activités pour le cadre européen de référence C1-C2" in the Alliance Française library or you can order it online from the FNAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I'm not familiar with those exams but for any exam, I think a class is the way to go, especially if you need to improve your writing. The teacher will know exactly what you need to know and you'll probably be taught to pass the exam, which obviously isn't ideal for your French, but it'll get you through. You can always stick on some Youtube vids at night for listening practice and maybe meet up with a French speaker/s for an hour or two a week if you have time.

• Advertisement

My observation was that writing was the skill that got the least amount of class time by far in the classes I took before (16 weeks of B2 preparation classes). Luckily I was able to ask a French friend to correct my writing.

My observation was that writing was the skill that got the least amount of class time by far in the classes I took before (16 weeks of B2 preparation classes). Luckily I was able to ask a French friend to correct my writing.

Well, writing in class takes up time that can be spent on other things, but it's strange that you weren't given essays as homework. I don't know if this is the case with the AF, but a lot of teachers are happy to correct written work if you ask.

I do think that writing tasks should be assigned for homework so as not to waste class time. Written homework was checked on 2 occasions during the last course. During actual class time, I think there could be scope for discussion on how to approach the writing task, steps involved and general tips.

I do think that writing tasks should be assigned for homework so as not to waste class time. Written homework was checked on 2 occasions during the last course. During actual class time, I think there could be scope for discussion on how to approach the writing task, steps involved and general tips.

Perhaps you could suggest that they cover that? I haven't studied at the AF but my language teachers have generally been very open to suggestions and when I taught exam classes, I was happy to focus on what the students wanted to cover (within reason). You are paying a lot of money for this exam prep, so you should really be able to get written work corrected if you feel that it's necessary. Or you could just get a private French teacher to correct essays, provided they were familiar with the structure of the C1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 I Promised

you could always join one of those conversation groups that seem to meet on Wednesday evenings (their website is quite difficult to navigate)*

Hey, could you tell me what the name of this website is please and if you know are there any in Cork? Cheers :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement