Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for Uniforms

Options
  • 19-07-2010 4:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

My employer has decided to change the uniforms where i work.

The current uniform is a Black shirt, Pants and shoes, Wine waist coat and tie and a Gold name Badge.

The waist Coat, Ties and badges they give us, we buy our own shirt, pants and shoes which is fair because they arent very expensive and can be used for other occasions etc...

But now they are buying in fitted shirts tailored to each staff members size and also an Apron. No tie or waist coat.

My problem is that the shirts are very specific and we can only get them from the employer should we need more and the prices they are charging are outrageous. Each shirt will cost €25 euro and the apron €5.

Since i work 5 days, i'll need at least 3 shirts for the week. About 20 other employees only work 2 days, 4 hours each day on minimum wage.

I've kinded ranted on a bit here but Do we have to pay for the Uniforms?
    The old shirts we could buy for €4 or €5 euro in Dunnes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Yes, you do. But is there an option of arranging some sort of payment plan, where they give you the uniform now and then gradually take the cost out of your wages over a number of months?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Nothing has been said about a payment plan and we were only informed a week ago.

I thought the employee would have to agree to it? Maybe i'm wrong but i can't afford €90 to come out of my wages. I'm on less than minimum and barely scraping by.

Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

You have to agree to any deduction from your wages.
    whatever about the shirt, an apron is protective equipment and it is illegal under health and safety legislation for an employer to charge you for it.

if you work in catering , an employment regulation order may apply
    ring NERA

Thanks for your reply eejoynt, i did another bit of digging around and you are correct about the apron.

I might ring Nera and get advice. My employer was in trouble recently with nera, they spent a week with us because we were being made to work 11/12 hour shifts with much less than 8 hours between the finish of one shift and the start of the next.

Once Nera left, the rosters went back to the same old hours again. lol why do i work here?!?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

Blikes wrote: »
    But now they are buying in fitted shirts tailored to each staff members size and also an Apron. No tie or waist coat.

My problem is that the shirts are very specific and we can only get them from the employer should we need more and the prices they are charging are outrageous. Each shirt will cost €25 euro and the apron €5.

Since i work 5 days, i'll need at least 3 shirts for the week. About 20 other employees only work 2 days, 4 hours each day on minimum wage.

Why don't you wear the same shirt for all 5 days for say 2 weeks?? Make sure it's nice and dirty and smelly, and maybe they'll offer to buy you another one?!?!

• Advertisement

I had thought about that wicklowgal :)

Advertisement