Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small lake in galway.

Options
  • 18-07-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Was able to grab a few mins here there yesterday and this morning. Stuck with my traditional flies for this lake. Bibio, Invicta, Black Pennell and a muddler pattern. Used my small river rod as I forgot my lake rod. Found that the boat had sunk and there was a gaping hole in the side about 3ft long so it was shore fishing for me:mad:. Was obviously rubbing against the rocks. It must be something about this lake but the trout go bonkers when they are hooked and give themselves a good account on the 4 weight rod. A few pics.
    IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

jack01986 wrote: »
    Was able to grab a few mins here there yesterday and this morning. Stuck with my traditional flies for this lake. Bibio, Invicta, Black Pennell and a muddler pattern. Used my small river rod as I forgot my lake rod. Found that the boat had sunk and there was a gaping hole in the side about 3ft long so it was shore fishing for me:mad:. Was obviously rubbing against the rocks. It must be something about this lake but the trout go bonkers when they are hooked and give themselves a good account on the 4 weight rod. A few pics.
    IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    Nice one.Lovely fish.Whereabouts where you fishing?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

rtc wrote: »
    Nice one.Lovely fish.Whereabouts where you fishing?.

don't answer that or your small lake will have NO trout in it soon enough, the lidl loving maggot boys will reach it like a fast spreading cancer......:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

don't answer that or your small lake will have NO trout in it soon enough, the lidl loving maggot boys will reach it like a fast spreading cancer......:mad:
    Hahaha You're right...
    "So ahh where abouts is this lake then?" (Reaching for maggot feeder)
    Haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Lovely fish and agree on not identifying the lake otherwise not only will the maggot army be out, I'll be with them..!!

Peter O'Reilly's book on the Lakes of Ireland is well worth looking up. There's any number of lakes in the West any many of them are open to the public to fish.

Meant to ask, did you catch anything on the black pennell? I've heard its a very popular fly but some serious fly fishers I spoke to laughed and didn't seem to think it was effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Caribs wrote: »
    Lovely fish and agree on not identifying the lake otherwise not only will the maggot army be out, I'll be with them..!!

Peter O'Reilly's book on the Lakes of Ireland is well worth looking up. There's any number of lakes in the West any many of them are open to the public to fish.

Meant to ask, did you catch anything on the black pennell? I've heard its a very popular fly but some serious fly fishers I spoke to laughed and didn't seem to think it was effective.

the black pennell is a very good fly on the river fished down and across in high and clear water.....never had huge success with it on the lough, although i believe a leaded one can be good at times....as for O reillys book,, well mmmmmmmmmmm not so sure.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

I think I'll keep it to myself if your interested you can PM me there are thousands of lakes out west that hold fish in them go explore you might get lucky ;). Landed 6 fish alltogether 1 on the muddler 3 on the black pennell and 2 on the bibio. It was very windy and there was a fair chop on the lake and I stripped it fast enough as well this lake in particular does well with dark flies so the black pennell works wuite well here. The muddler and bibio got some explosive takes the last one I caught where there was a deep trough along the bank and I saw the fish come up from the depths and launch himself for the bibio was pretty cool to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Lovely trout. I would happily fish a black pennell anywhere and expect to catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Good to know, maybe it's time the workman stopped blaming the tools..!! Most of my fishing is done on Lough Corrib but must try some of the smaller lakes in the region and see can I get the Pennell working for me.

Advertisement