Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire - Custom ROMS

Options
  • 18-07-2010 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

I'm currently using Modaco r2, and just jumped to r21 (Froyo) but discovered I really want to keep the HTC sense, so which ROM should I go for? What's the best ROM out there now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Im currently using this, It works fine very quick as its froyo. Uses up a lo of the internal memory though. Thats the only flaw i can find in it. Im sure there are better roms out there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Did you have to partition your SD card for apps?

I just installed it as per the instructions on the site so i can try it out first. Im new to this so going to try a few roms first then once i pick one i willFigure out how to get as many apps on the sd card as possible :) Im just happy i got the rom on the phone without bricking it :)

Why if i do that can i get more apps on the sd card or is it only apps that normally have the app2sd enabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Best thing to do is do a Nandroid backup of what you have now, and then try the main 3-4 Froyo ROMS out over the course of a day, then make a choice....revert to your backup, or stick with one of the Froyo ROMS.

I am using DJ Droid, but theres loads of decent ones out there - there's Adam Gs leaked HTC 2.2 HK beta, DJ Droid, Modacos 2.2 with Sense etc etc.

We are at the stage now where all of the 2.2 ROMs work pretty flawlessly so you wont go to far wrong.

Thanks. Have the Nandroid backup I made this morning and have already reverted back, will try a few of 2.2 ROMs today. ;)

• Advertisement

jd83 wrote: »

Why if i do that can i get more apps on the sd card or is it only apps that normally have the app2sd enabled?

I think it's only apps updated for 2.2, could be wrong though...

jd83 wrote: »
    Im currently using this, It works fine very quick as its froyo. Uses up a lo of the internal memory though. Thats the only flaw i can find in it. Im sure there are better roms out there though.

Well that was easy, this is much faster. Keyboard seems very slow though, need to install Swype again.

IT was a bit slow when i first started using it but once i rebooted it sped up. Ive had no problems with it yet. touch wood :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Has anyone had problems downloading apps from the market since switching to a custom rom? I'm using 2.1 stock with root.

I can't download google earth, it won't show up in searches and when I go directly to the download page via a link the download fails

Just tried Google Earth there, in the Market and downloading now. OpenDesire 1.0c (Froyo)

• Advertisement

Dang, don't know what to try now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

hardCopy wrote: »
    Dang, don't know what to try now

came across this earlier, might help??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I had to remove my sd card, then install before putting the sd card back in.
    Works fine now but wont move the app to sd.

Is anyone having problems with browser text entry with OpenDesire? Mine slows to the point of becoming impossible, both with Swype and the stock keyboard...

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

I do - it's not really hindering entry for me but definitely noticeable; I use the HTC_IME keyboard mod.
    On a similar note, there is noticeable stuttering while scrolling a long page up/down (app list, browser page, just about anywhere). If I 'flick' it briefly it's fine, but if I leave my finger on the screen and pull up/down it visibly stutters. I swear I never seen it on the stock ROM.

Signed up and paid for an ad-free account on Modaco, worth it to 'bake' your own ROMs, this one seems a bit better. So far so good. : D

Gryzor wrote: »
    came across this earlier, might help??

Thanks gryzor, that seems to be a slightly different issue though. I managed to get google earth installed eventually using an apk i found online.

There are a few discussions out there with people having similar issues, seemingly it only effects apps that use copy protection.

Advertisement