Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ponc séimhithe

Options
  • 17-07-2010 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

I have a few Gaelic fonts installed and can't figure out how use the ponc séimhithe, any help??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Braitheann sé ar do chóras oibrithe. De ghnáth, níl ort ach an leagan amach méarchláir cheart a roghnú. Féach ar an iatán thíos.

[en: It depends on your operating system. Usually you just have to pick the right keyboard layout. Look at the attachment below.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I'm using windows 7, and have set my keyboard to
    English(Ireland)--- Gaelic, no luck
    English (United States)--United States-Geailge (unicode), no luck
    And now Irish (Ireland)---Irish, Still no "dots"
    I've tried every combination of "alt/ctrl/alt gr/#/etc etc", with a variety of fonts Bunchló Ársa Gc/bunchló/celtic gaeilge/seanchló dubh/YY Uncial Most Irish etc etc
    Just cant get it.
    I've read the thread above and tried all the advice, and tried everything on the Gaelchló website. This is getting a bit frustrating now.
    I know it's probably something simple but I just cant get there.!!

You need to install (gaelach.zip) and then enable the "Cló Gaelach" keymap.
    http://www.gaelchlo.com/fuinneog.html

Your active keyboard settings should be "Irish (Ireland) - Cló Gaelach".

:)
    Go raibh míle maith agat!!!!
    Finally got it sorted, phew.

Cathain a bhfeicfimid an leabhar críochnaithe? ;)

• Advertisement

Fan anois, ná bí "hasty" beidh sé i siopaí leabhar go luath.
    Beidh tusa istig na "acknowledgements" freisin.
    (Tá brón orm air mo droch-Gaeilge ach tá me ag foghlim go mall nios mó lá tar eis lá).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

As an aside what was the official reason for not carrying the Ponc séimhithe over when the writing system moved to "roman type" tbh I think it's considerably more elegant system them adding in h's. Also it avoids confusion of learners thinking the h is a pronounced letter.

In my case Ó Dubhthaigh versus Ó Duḃṫaiġ

Advertisement