Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XPS m1330 - Stopped Charging(ac power)

Options
  • 17-07-2010 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I just thought I'd ask if anyone had any ideas about this!
    I had done a wipe and install last week. I even took the laptop apart to re-seat all connectors because the monitor was flickering (solved that problem).
    All seemed to be perfect until late Friday night when the XPS stopped charging. It can run from the battery just fine but can't run from AC power or can't charge.
    I tested the current and the 19.55 v is flowing through the charging unit & onto the Motherboard.
    What I need to know is: Does this mean explicitly that the Mother Board is beyond repair or is there any method I can employ, bar buying a new MoBo?
    Dell will not entertain me as the laptop Service Tag is not registered in my name!!!! I know for a fact that the extended warranty does not run out until 12th of August, so need this advice pronto!
    Cheers Guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

Check if the battery charger is properly identified in BIOS.

It should detect the wattage of the charger. If it doesnt, it'll say 'unknown adapter type', or similar, and then then it'll just run on AC power alone like you described.

It could be the charger itself that's malfunctioned, and it's no longer properly identifying itself, or it could be the charging circuit on the motherboard. I had the same problem with my 1530, and it took a motherboard replacement and a new charger (under warrante :D ) to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Sorry, I think you may have misunderstood. The ac power is not recognised at all. So not in a position to examine the BIOS. Battery is dead now too.
    Maybe somebody has a work around for the warranty?! There's only about 3 1/2 weeks left at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sorry I didnt notice this thread. Thats definitely a warranty issue, it was a very common symptom in Dell M1330s back in 07/08 around the time of the nvidia snafu and I believe Dell recognizes it as a defect.

google M1330 not charging, its a very common problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Obskure wrote: »
    Maybe somebody has a work around for the warranty?! There's only about 3 1/2 weeks left at this stage.

The person who bought the laptop has to apply to Dell regards the change of ownership. There is a form to fill out on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Thanks for the input so far.
    I have since managed to get in touch with the guy I bought from & he is in the process of getting the details together for me. Turns out he bought it from another fella, so I just have my fingers crossed that this whole process doesn't get to convoluted. (The laptop originally comes from the States). I will update this post when I know more.
    P.S. If anyone has an m1330 & could charge a battery for me, that would be great!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

I and one of my friends both had M1730s and this exact problem surfaced, it is very commom and the ony way to fix it according to dell was to replace the motherboard.
    However after replacing the motherboard a number of times and replacing the chargers too, to no avail.
    Dell admitted defeat and replaced both our machines.

I would say the best possible advice i could give you is to get that change of ownership sorted out and then pester dell, i would say even if you get the ownership changed late it is worth extending the warranty becasue at the end of the day u get a new laptop for the price of the warranty ;)

hope that helps, even if only a little

Advertisement