Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car- insurance on a foreign driving license

Options
  • 17-07-2010 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    I have a couple of questions:

I live abroad but I visit Ireland quite often and I'd like to buy a car to have during the holidays. My driving license cannot be swapped for an Irish one but as I am not resident here it doesn't really matter. Can I buy a car in my own name despite not having an Irish license?
    Secondly, can I get insurance on the car wityhout having an Irish license?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, there are no restrictions on who can buy a car here. You need an adress to register it to though

Also most insurers will insure anyone with a licence that is valid to use here, but they can and do load you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

With insurance, tax, NCT you would need to be visiting here a lot for it to work out cheaper then hiring a car. Plus with a hire car if it breaks you get a, sometimes better, replacement. I'd be doing the sums again. There's the problem of storing the car and the issued of leaving a car sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

khabilli wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a couple of questions:

I live abroad but I visit Ireland quite often and I'd like to buy a car to have during the holidays. My driving license cannot be swapped for an Irish one but as I am not resident here it doesn't really matter. Can I buy a car in my own name despite not having an Irish license?
    Secondly, can I get insurance on the car wityhout having an Irish license?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Is it a EU license ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Barr wrote: »
    Is it a EU license ?
    Indeed if it is not a EU/EEA licence you will have problems with getting insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You should check if the Irish insurers need a claims history report from your current or previous insurers.

I'm not sure if it applies to driving in Ireland on a foreign licence, but there's a rule that if your driving licence is for automatic only you may not be permitted to drive a manual. It's something that could affect your choice of car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You should check if the Irish insurers need a claims history report from your current or previous insurers.
    Most won't accept anything any further than the UK. Not to worry as quinn will quote on zero NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭2yung2adm

Most insurances will require that you are resident in Ireland and also that your NCB was earned in Ireland or the UK. Quinn direct will accept a NCB from any EU country, bless them.

Advertisement