Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest way to get into third level without Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 17-07-2010 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Guessing this is the right forum.

I have a friend (18 y/o) who's moving back from America this Summer, and was wondering what's the best way I can help him get into an Irish IT/university?

He doesn't have SATs or a high school diploma because of some problems he's had this past year, so he was planning on taking them at a later stage, but now he's moving back.

If he gets a place on a 1-year PLC course this year, can he then apply to go to the CAO for an IT (level 7 or 8) course next year?

Thanks for any advice! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If he gets a place on a level 5 course and gets good results he would be eligible to apply for a level 6 IT course, assuming that the IT accepts Fetac results, most do but there are some exceptions. Its a bit unlikely that he would get straight onto a level 6 course, but again there may be exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rlow68

SirDarren wrote: »
    Guessing this is the right forum.

I have a friend (18 y/o) who's moving back from America this Summer, and was wondering what's the best way I can help him get into an Irish IT/university?

He doesn't have SATs or a high school diploma because of some problems he's had this past year, so he was planning on taking them at a later stage, but now he's moving back.

If he gets a place on a 1-year PLC course this year, can he then apply to go to the CAO for an IT (level 7 or 8) course next year?

Thanks for any advice! :)

Yes, he can, he should just choose the right course at the PLC that is relevant to what he will be reading at the Third level education, ie he should read the modules that are the requirement for his/her third level course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Adoniss

Has he notice the high tutor fees for university as an international student studying in Ireland? And yeah, if he completes a five level fetac course while having passed at least eight units of the course he stands a good chance of getting into college here.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Adoniss wrote: »
    Has he notice the high tutor fees for university as an international student studying in Ireland? And yeah, if he completes a five level fetac course while having passed at least eight units of the course he stands a good chance of getting into college here.

Well I don't think he'll be considered international as he has Irish citizenship.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm currently looking at getting him a level 5 PLC in business admin, then hopefully he can apply to the IT here for their level 6 "Higher Certificate in Business".

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Irish citizenship may not entitle him to exemption from international fees - I would advise him check it out rather than assuming he will be exempt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

In order to qualify for free fees:
    You must be an EU national or have official refugee status and ,

You must have been living in the EU for at least 3 of the 5 years before starting your course
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/fees

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭looksee

SirDarren wrote: »
    I'm currently looking at getting him a level 5 PLC in business admin, then hopefully he can apply to the IT here for their level 6 "Higher Certificate in Business".

Yes that should work, but just passing 8 modules most probably would not be sufficient, he would be looking for distinctions.

Advertisement