Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yield: okay to change to first

Options
  • 17-07-2010 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi Folks just a quick question. I find that when I'm coming up to a yield sign and my vision is somewhat restricted if i stay in second the car will shudder and or conk out because I'm going so slow. I drive a 1.2 and it just doesn't do slow well in second.. I've read many posts saying never shift down to first when in motion but I find if I'm doing around 5km I can shift down no problem.

I done one test and failed mostly on progress and observation so I don't want to stop fully and pick up progress faults. Am I okay to be shifting down to first. I find yield signs a big problem as I often feel some should really be a stop sign. Maybe I'm just being over cautious and should stay in 2nd and just drive on but I really don't want to cause an accident.

I should say that when its a wide open junction and i can see clearly this is no problem. Just around housing estates. I took lessons and felt under pressure to speed up and progress through yields quicker but I'm a bit of a check twice cut once type. Again I stress this is not the case at roundabouts of yields that have clear line of sight.

Sorry I went on a bit. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

coldcake wrote: »
    I've read many posts saying never shift down to first when in motion but I find if I'm doing around 5km I can shift down no problem.

Hi,

Do not believe everything you read. Let common sense prevail. Of course you can change into 1st whilst still moving, then peep and creep out.

It was impossible to change into first whilst still moving on some real old cars but as far as I know all modern cars have now Synchromesh on all gears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

If you dont have full vision around a junction at a yield sign I would put the car into first and creep forward until I can see properly. This is what i was advised by my ADI.

You wont get marked for progress if you creep forward to gain full vision, conversely if you DONT creep forward until you can see fully you may get marks for observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭2yung2adm

you are quite in order to change to 1st if 2nd will cause the car to shudder or not allow you to proceed progressively

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Modern cars can handle changing to first without any difficulties. Just make sure you are going quite slow when you do it, otherwise you will get a jerky slowing down. I often do it at yield signs, when it wouldn't be necessary to stop.

I did it in my test and I didn't get marked for it.

Advertisement