Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mare and foal

Options
  • 16-07-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

hey just need some advice. my mare had her foal 3 months ago and everything is goin well. just wondering can i start riding and exercising her again. is it ok to have the foal running beside her. the mare has not been rode for over a year and when she was ridden every day. she was very very lively. so i was thinking of bringing back into work gradually like lunging etc. yeah or nah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

wait till the foal is weaned id say, cos the mare would be a bit unpredictable with the foal there, which leaves the foal, not to mention you, in danger.
    DO NOT leave the foal inside and ride the mare, as she will most certainly be moody and upset at having the foal taken away.(this can upset the foal too)
    my advice is wait till the foal is weaned a few months and build gradually like you mentioned above, lungeing, roadwork, and build up the work over time.

btw
    congrats on your new arrival

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Since she has been off for a year I wouldn't be starting straight in with lunging, try long reining first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

When I started back riding my mare after having her foal, I waited until the foal was weaned properly. I brought the mare away to another yard for a while and then when I brought her back home after a month or so, I then started the mare back into work.

Even though it was probably 18 months or 2 years since I had ridden her, I didn't bother with working her in long reins, but I did lunge her gently with the tack on before I rode her and she was fine.

It depends on the mare, I suppose, but I would go down the route of gently lunging her with the tack on before you ride her so she gets the feeling of wearing the tack again before you get up on her.

As for riding the mare with the foal beside her, it's probably not the best idea for the reasons outlined above. I know some people do it and have no problems with it, but there's always the possibility of injury.

Advertisement