Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the origin of meat used in fast food restaurants?(Eddie Rockets, Burger King)

Options
  • 16-07-2010 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Origin of meat used in fast food restaurants? Also, if anyone knows of any other restaurants in Dublin that support and use Irish products that'd be great..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As far as I am aware most of the large burger chains claim to source their meat in Ireland. Sound marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 vixenviolet

yeah i kind of figured most would say that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Origin of meat used in fast food restaurants?..

I going out on a limb here...But a the meat originates on a cow...

As most companies would be likely to say that these cows are Irish..

yeah i kind of figured most would say that :)
    What do you mean?

If you have a 'beef' (pun intended') with the ethics of certain businesses and how they source their meat products this is not the place to discuss it.

Take it to Humanities.

Thanks,

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

1st time poster guys, cut a bit of slack,

pretty sure she just wants a definite list of irish fast food places the that use 100% irish products,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I expect the big boys like burger king really are 100% irish if they claim it, too much to lose otherwise. I was in a chinese takeaway the other day and it had a sort of cert letter on the wall from an irish meat supplier saying the meat they supplied was 100% irish & traceable -however there was nothing to say they sourced all their meat from that supplier. It does sort of infer it is 100% irish sourced, it could well be but they do have a cop out excuse. They might say all their beef is 100% irish, if so you can presume the chicken is not or they would be shouting about it too.

I was shocked to see bulmers having deliberately misleading ads though, so the big boys might even be doing trickery. It said it has 100% pear juice, but it was pointed out in another thread that this means the juice in it is 100% pear, but it is still loaded with sugar. So technically it could have 1 single drop of pear juice in it and the ad is still legally OK.

They have some bloody cheek saying other ads are misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hill Billy wrote: »
    What do you mean?

If you have a 'beef' (pun intended') with the ethics of certain businesses and how they source their meat products this is not the place to discuss it.

Take it to Humanities.

Thanks,

HB

Surely the providence, origin and ethics of food is a Food and Drink issue be it vegetables or meat we're talking about. Is it not allowed to to discus air miles, animal husbandry, marketing, intensive farming verses small scale/free range/organic farming? How can we productively discuss food while ignoring these questions?

For instance, is it not ok for me to discuss how I was on a farm the other day in Wicklow where the small breed pigs were running around, rooting in the fields and that the pork tasted multiple times better than intensively farmed, penned pork that knew nothing but concrete and steel; and that I felt so much better knowing that the pig that died for me to eat had had a good life!
    It was soo tasty!!:D

If this is not acceptable, delete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

A friend of mine works in a meat factory in Roscommon, some of their meat goes to McDonalds.

the beer revolu - I agree 100% with your sentiments & as long as it stays at that it is fine. However, when it strays into discussions about animal cruelty, etc. then Humanities is the place for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

rubadub wrote: »
    It said it has 100% pear juice, but it was pointed out in another thread that this means the juice in it is 100% pear, but it is still loaded with sugar. So technically it could have 1 single drop of pear juice in it and the ad is still legally OK. ... They have some bloody cheek saying other ads are misleading.
    Of course there's sugar - that's how alcohol is made - with fruit / fruit juice / fruit pulp, sugar and yeast. Low-rent fermentations like ciders will use sucrose added to the fruit sugars (including fructose) to produce cheap alcoholic drinks faster than, for example traditional wines which will use only the naturally occurring sugars in the juice or must.

I see nothing misleading about that particular ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mathepac wrote: »
    Of course there's sugar - that's how alcohol is made - with fruit / fruit juice / fruit pulp, sugar and yeast. Low-rent fermentations like ciders will use sucrose added to the fruit sugars (including fructose) to produce cheap alcoholic drinks faster than, for example traditional wines which will use only the naturally occurring sugars in the juice or must.

I see nothing misleading about that particular ad.

I disagree (although we are wandering somewhat off topic here).
    Cider can be made from nothing but fruit juice - you don't necessarily even need to add yeast - and that ad certainly gives the impression that it is made from just pear juice.

Back on-topic please. Thanks, HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

From what I know...Irish meat products of all types is very highly regarded and is used by McDonalds, BK, Kepak, Heinz (babyfoods), Carrefour...and many many more.
    TBH...Irish meat and by-products and food in general is an industry that Ireland really is one of the Worlds leaders in quality and innovation.

Advertisement