Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice bars in Rotterdam, Antwerp, Bruges and Ghent?

Options
  • 16-07-2010 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi All,

Will be heading over to Holland and Belgium for a while in a few weeks. Does anyone have any recommendations of nice bars in Rotterdam, Antwerp, Bruges and Ghent?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Hi All,

Will be heading over to Holland and Belgium for a while in a few weeks. Does anyone have any recommendations of nice bars in Rotterdam, Antwerp, Bruges and Ghent?

I'm not long back from Antwerp. Went over for the beer festival.
    Of all the bars we visited while there (and there were a lot) my favourite was Paters Vaetje. It's right beside the central tower on the cathedral in the centre of Antwerp. They have over 100 beers and the staff are excellent.

You should try Carolas Classic and La Chouffe there if you haven't had them before.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Rotterdam: Pelgrim, and anywhere else around Delfshaven.

Antwerp: Kulminator (Vleminckveld 32) -- one of the planet's legendary bars for beer selection.

Bruges: 't Bruges Beertje -- as above.

Ghent: HopDuvel (Rokerelsstraat 10), Het Waterhuis aan de Bierkant and Pakhuis (a restaurant).

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fr Clint Power

Thanks Dermo. Will definitely check it out. By any chance did you get to Kulminator while you were there? Does it live up to the hype? I definitely plan on trying it, hoping to try some of their aged beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Thanks Dermo. Will definitely check it out. By any chance did you get to Kulminator while you were there? Does it live up to the hype? I definitely plan on trying it, hoping to try some of their aged beers.

I went to the Kulminator one night. Unbelievable beer selection but maybe I was there on a bad night because the athmosphere was a bit ****. Tried striking up some friendly conversations and it was usually 1 word answers then nothing, even from the staff. In Paters Vaetje the people seemed to be friendlier and more open to random conversations

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Also in Gent De Trollekelder. Great beer selection in a quirky welcoming bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭glanman

Gent is a brilliant town, really beautiful!

I don't know if you are looking for bars for beer selection/choice etc... but I remember a really cool little bar on Sint-Baafsplein. Don't have a name but it is just beyond the square and cathedral, the tram runs by it. It was only a small little place but really chilled out!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fr Clint Power

Thanks guys. I will be noting down all your recommendations, keep them coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 battycow

we went to 't Bruges Beertje when in Bruges, It was great, you get handed a massive menu of over 300 beers, All Belgium. Just dont do what my boyfriend did and drink the triple strenght (13%) 700ml bottles as if they were guinness and have to be carried home by your girlfriend! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Den Engel on the square by the cathedral, in Antwerp is a must for a Bolleke (glass of the local amber ale, De Koninck) - very near Paters Vaetje.

If you go up the street between these two pubs (Wissel Strat) and wander around for a bit, you'll find In de Gloria, (Kleine Koraalberg 8, 2000 ANTWERP) this bar serves really good very Flemish food.

DE PELGROM : Pelgrimsstraat 15, is touristy but worth a visit - it's a vaulted cellar bar.

I also liked KAPITEIN ZEPPOS : Vlemincksveld 78 and there's a really nice pub across the triangle from it too.

(all above are Antwerp)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

In Rotterdam the areas Stadhuisplein and the Oude Haven have plenty of bars. Should be able to find somethign of your linking there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Ghent is a great city, while you're there you should check out a little place called t'Dreupelkot for something different, basically it's a small bar which only sells shots made from this stuff called jenever. You can get all sorts of shots, from standard fruity shots to a tirimasu shot to a black pepper shot. Small shots are 2 euro and doubles are 3 euro, so it's very reasonable.

I'n not great with directions so have a look on google maps or ask for it while you're there it won't be hard to find as it's fairly central and looks out onto the main canal which runs through the city centre.

Oh yeah, its also run by these two lads which makes it even more cool.

02D126B33DEA47159738A768D2F0EDCB-800.jpg

Make sure you check it out, it's a gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Ghent is a great city, while you're there you should check out a little place called t'Dreupelkot for something different, basically it's a small bar which only sells shots made from this stuff called jenever.

This is basically the forefather of Gin as it's main flavouring ingredient is also Juniper ... Originated originally from Holland (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gilly_D

Hi all,

I had planned on going to Ghent following a few days in Paris during the summer. Only problem is we arrive after the Ghent festival and I've read that the place can be dead after the festival. I'm thinking of going to Antwerp instead.
    Can anyone please tell me which is the better city of the two?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Antwerp is bigger and there are more things to do; Ghent has more character and charm. Also, the Belgian rail system goes everywhere from everywhere in no time at all, so it's not like you need to think of yourself as stuck in whichever you choose. I did a daytrip to Luxembourg last time I stayed in Ghent, but you can do sensible things as well.

Advertisement