Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...When Not WoW'ing...

Options
  • 16-07-2010 7:44am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Right, well... I've not quit WoW but I have been looking for other time-sinks during the common occurance of me not bothering my arse to log into WoW.

Same old story for every expansion - The lead up is dull as people tend to dissapear while waiting for it which makes raiding difficult at times and less people for PvP groups, so how do you folks pass the time outside of WoW?

(Please refrain from silly albeit true comments like "I GO 2 RL OLOL!" etc)

I went back to Monsters Den 2 and even created a bunch of Avatars of my WoW characters just to spice it up and, well... Be a saddo.

The daily email from Newgrounds ensures that I may find the occasional Flash-Game Gem from time to time but ultimately there are very few web-based RPG's out there that hold my attention. A lot of the Free to Download RPG's such as Dragonica // Dragonsky (Only two I've tried and only one of which I like) are often fun but either not all that polished or squarely aimed at a younger generation - Not that thats a bad thing.

Ultimately if I'm not WoW'ing I love making movies or art etc but thats not something I could spend the whole day doing.

So, with the pre-expansion lull (which I assume quite a few people are experiencing) I'm curious to know how other people spend their non-WoW time (In gaming terms).

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've gone back to single player games for the time being. There's quite a few that i have on my list that i've wanted to complete for a while now, so i'm focussing on them. There's actually loads that i've missed over the last few years. Plansecape Torment is what i'm playing at the moment. Great game.

Still playing Warcraft from time to time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i like to mess around with 3d studio max, illustrator, photoshop, photohraphy and play ice hockey.

infact, wow is what i do when im not doing any of the above.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I recently resubbed to wow as all the lads in TiG were doing so.
    Im not raiding like i used to or anything,just messing around with alts etc.

Apart from that im loving team fortress 2 allover again, they have added a massive amount of content to it, a seriously fun game.

I also run the odd race in www.iracing.com , i just dont have the time to commit to running any leagues etc, believe it or not iracing is probably more time consuming than wow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Dcully wrote: »
    I also run the odd race in www.iracing.com
    Is that any better than LFS? I've been meaning to drag out the DFP again, but I'm not sure if my old PC will run it.

I've found that having a 6-week-old in the house is a great way to not play Wow...

I recently resubbed to wow as all the lads in TiG were doing so.
    What server are the TiG lads on btw?

• Advertisement

2 Espressi wrote: »
    Is that any better than LFS? I've been meaning to drag out the DFP again, but I'm not sure if my old PC will run it.

I've found that having a 6-week-old in the house is a great way to not play Wow...

Yes theres nothing out there that comes close to it mate.
    LFS is great but this is from another level alltogether, anything that has the likes of Dale Earndhart jr,Marcos Ambrouse,Justin Wilson and many more professional drivers competing with Joe public in leagues has got to be special.
    Its incredibly realistic and really has to be tried to be believed, if your ever in the Kildare area id be happy to let you have a spin.
    As for your pc not tunning it,its very configurable and automatically sets up your gfx for you, definitely works better than most similar features from other games.

Check out some testimonials from some existing pro racing drivers that use iracing http://www.iracing.com/testimonials/

@ Kiith we are on Terenas server, pop on over.
    Add Cully or Exocist as a friend if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

ive been playing HON alot since i stopped wow waiting on cata around 2 months ago, and back into the xbox games that i bought and never finished

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I've found Star Wars knights of the old republic and GTA4 to be suitable time sinks along with bad company 2 and day of defeat source.

Then again I'm starting to get invited to best on server icc25's and levelling my paladin to 80, so I've still some wow love along with trying to get LK10 HC down with guild.

Ruby Sanctum hasnt changed anything on my server for activity, nobody runs the 25 pugs at all : /

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

When not playing WoW... hmm, it'd probably have to be playing some TF2 with friends, with a bit of Call of Duty: World at War - I'd forgotten how much I loved the SVT-40 in that game, savage gun :P

Red Faction: Guerrilla is pretty fun too, particularly in multiplayer - it's quite satisfying to smash through the roof of a building and slam your enemies into the ground (or bring the whole damn house down on top of them xD)

Recently, I've been getting stuck into the Final Fantasy games as well - after getting XIII, I ended up digging out my PS2 and playing 8, 9 and 10... :D
    <3
    I suck at the game (I think my best score is about 15,000 or so) but that music is so captivating ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

A couple of my guildies had a great idea on one of our off-nights.

It was a naked Kara run, with a twist. Basically, everybody could equip one item from their normal setup, and then only equip what items dropped inside the instance. After the 2nd trash pull, the warrior tank and ele shaman ended up fighting for cloth boots with +18 spirit on them! They said it began very difficult, but said the whole run was packed with laughter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Basically, everybody could equip one item from their normal setup
    Single-wield rogues? Sounds like fun ^^

Although, Taurens and Orcs should be obliged to wear some sort of pants... not something I want to see near-nude for any length of time

@ Kiith we are on Terenas server, pop on over.
    Add Cully or Exocist as a friend if you do.

Are you Horde or Alliance? Not sure i could do a whole new character again, but might do a Death Knight at some stage.

Kiith wrote: »
    Are you Horde or Alliance? Not sure i could do a whole new character again, but might do a Death Knight at some stage.

Horde, sorry forget to mention that.

Boh! Just levelled my ally Death Knight to 60. Ah well, might start again or just start from scratch with a different character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

When not playing WoW, I'll be playing SC2. Though I haven't been playing WoW lately due to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I haven't been on WoW much since I've been working a lot. I did start playing Demon's Souls during the week though. I'd say I'll have destroyed at least one PS3 controller through a fit of rage before the end of next week. Fun times.

Are you lot in a guild, or just soloing?

I rolled a Hunter last night (Tóc), and i'm actually kind of enjoying it. No money, no heirlooms, and its more enjoyable that way. I actually have to watch what i spend, and try to earn every silver for my new abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Dont have enough time to play WoW as much as id like tbh, RL keeps getting in the way, its very annoying. Only other game i play is CS:S, and thats when my server is on downtime every week. So i manage about 1 hour of CS:S a week :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

God, SEUCK, had it on the C64 good times, good times...

Advertisement