Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffith halls of residence?

Options
  • 15-07-2010 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey,

So just wondering, my little sis is starting in Trinity in september (hopefully!) and I know its odds on she won't get halls and she's mad to go to Griffith since she saw it online but I went there in first year and it was friggin awful but some of my friends said it's changed loads? Did anyone live there last year?

Is it still noisy, covered in rubbish and run by the crankiest staff known to man?

If anyone has heard anything I'd really appreciate it, trying to get her in somewhere decent!

Cheers

p.s. I'm in Trinity, I do know we have Trinity Hall but I also know that far from everyone gets into it so she needs a back up!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

It is what can only be best described as a dump, it is full of non irish students, and i have been told it's very dangerous at night

Trinity has its own halls, plus there are normal apartments she could live in, in safe areas too anywhere around the Donnybrook or leeson street etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Dublin4Life
    D.R cowboy
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

The_Joker. wrote: »
    :confused:

who is Dublin4life??

now i'm :confused: too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Can I ask why you think she won't get in to trinity halls?
    The rooms are given out based on random selection.
    Thats what the lady in the accomodation office told me anyway.
    As long as she doesn't live in Dublin she has as much chance as anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jennedy

Can I ask why you think she won't get in to trinity halls?
    The rooms are given out based on random selection.
    Thats what the lady in the accomodation office told me anyway.
    As long as she doesn't live in Dublin she has as much chance as anyone else.

Yeah I know but there are only like 500 rooms in halls for freshers and like 2,500 incoming freshers, so the odds aren't great and she wants to know there's somewhere like it she can go, that's why I went to Griffith in 1st year but it was awful then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I stayed in Griffith for my first semester in Trinity (then I dropped out) and I loved it! The rooms are nice, homey, clean...a bit on the small side though. The internet can be a bit dodgey and there is no oven (just a hob and a microwave) which means no pizza but it wasn't bad at all. There were a lot of foreign students in Griffith itself but they usually seemed to put people in apartment with other people of their university.

The accomadation officers there were always very helpful too, though it would often get a bit noisy at night. It's not a bad area at all and as far as I remeber residents have access to the gym, library and student bar. As for it not being safe at night, thats rubbish. They close the gates at 10 (I think, around that time anyway) and the security gaurds are always wandering 'round.

I do remeber it being a bit of a rip off but that was in 2008 and I think the prices have dropped significantly since. I was in Halls this year and i much prefered it but there is nothing wrong with Griffith either and it gets quite a lot of trinity students.

Hope this helped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Tbh, I wouldn't go to either place. Expensive and crap, rent has dropped like a stone in south Dublin and you'd easily get a proper, single room for under €400/month and not have to live in squalor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

jennedy wrote: »
    Yeah I know but there are only like 500 rooms in halls for freshers and like 2,500 incoming freshers, so the odds aren't great and she wants to know there's somewhere like it she can go, that's why I went to Griffith in 1st year but it was awful then.

Pretty sure there were around 1,200 students in Halls this year, not 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Pretty sure there were around 1,200 students in Halls this year, not 500.

But not only freshers get places in halls, there are always places reserved for students from other years. I'm fairly sure the vast majority of students in halls ARE freshers, though. When I was there a few years ago, the chance of getting a room in halls was good. I got one two years in a row, then campus the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    But not only freshers get places in halls, there are always places reserved for students from other years. I'm fairly sure the vast majority of students in halls ARE freshers, though. When I was there a few years ago, the chance of getting a room in halls was good. I got one two years in a row, then campus the next year.

Aye, there was a smattering of second years, and I know of someone who's going back next year and going into 3rd year, but I think it's safe to say that the vast majority were freshers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

To be honest if you keep ringing up/emailing Trinity Halls. Your bound to get a place. That's what I did this year, just kept ringing to see if there were any spare places. I had pretty much given up hope when I finally got an email saying I'd been accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Irishoz

It has changed a bit in the last year or so. They got a new manager. It's a bit more easy going now. They don't tazer you for coughing anymore! However some of the old staff are still there and they can get cranky. There are a lot of foreign students there - a lot of French these days it seems... they seem to party a good bit. But if you're not into that just stay away from them. I don't think they are particulary noisey apartments, unless you are in a party apartment of course, but if you don't like your flatmates you can just move! It's handy for when there is bar nights or when the SU has one of its house parties - best nights on campus!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What about NCI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

Larianne wrote: »
    What about NCI?

I'm living there next year Larianne, I've never seen the place but the girls I lived with in Halls this year (and who I'll be with in NCI too) both had older sisters who'd lived there so I trusted their judgment! The major pull factor was that it's closer to Trinity than Halls is, though I never really minded getting the bus/luas every day! Are you thinking of staying there?

If anyone wants to know about Halls, I enjoyed my stay there, it's perfect if you are a complete culchie who's only experience of Dublin is Grafton St. for Christmas shopping and the like!;) Which I most definitely was! The odd time it can seem like there are many rules and regulations but at exam time you are very glad they exist, and the study facility they open in the canteen is very useful too, as well as the little library in Oldham House for working when you cant be bothered heading into the library in Trinity! It's not all study though thankfully, the JCR organises parties and events, to be honest my apartment didn't really bother with most of them because we just had our own pre-drinking (which the wardens don't mind as long as you aren't blaring dance music out the kitchen window..;)), theres also a sports day and a musical every year!

I think getting a place in halls should be easier this year OP, as only 50 people applied for a room in Halls when applications opened earlier this semester, and most of us probably rejected the offer! I reckon your sister has a good chance of getting a place if she so desires!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wafflesauce

Hey all I kind of have a feeling this thread is dead but I may as well post anyways. Me and a friend of mine are thinking of staying in the halls of residence this year. The problem being that we are both quite avid gamers.

Now we arent going to pick accomodation purely based on the internet access, but we wanted to know, whats the internet like etc. The guy who showed me around said that the web admins could unlock ports for call of duty and world of warcaft etc (yes i know :o). We really arent sure whether he was just saying this to sell the place to us, or if its the truth.

So if anyone would be kind enough to provide some experiences of the web access there, along with some other general pros and cons of the place, that the guys in charge wouldnt tell you about, itd be awesome :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

They can unlock the ports, but it's fairly unlikely that they will. UDP tunneling will work if you're that interested, the internet speed is immense once it's not peak hours (college hours that is) and last year there was a few lan parties organised, but don't know how many people showed up.
    Pros and cons- it's not as far away as you think from trinity, about a 35 minute walk from college, or a half an hour on th bus in the mornings, maybe less than twenty if late lectures. it's great craic, and as someone else said before, they're not THAT strict, even though I do know someone who got kicked out. The JCR organise nights out, and for freshers weekend they're great to get to know people, and also throughout the year, even though there was so few of them, they were always good fun...
    ~
    if you get there, and accept it, I'd advise get a bike, it's dead handy.

Cheers for the response Groinshot :). That sounds great tbh, it seemed very pleasent when I went there, and the staff seemed very nice and reasonable, although I may have to invest in a bike :\ .Hopefully they will be reasonable about the ports seen as we wouldnt be using over 1 meg bandwidth in my experience, and I would rather not punch a hole in their systems and get in trouble :S. Besides it would involve using sockscap which causes massive lag.
    Again thanks for the response :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

Cheers for the response Groinshot :). That sounds great tbh, it seemed very pleasent when I went there, and the staff seemed very nice and reasonable, although I may have to invest in a bike :\ .Hopefully they will be reasonable about the ports seen as we wouldnt be using over 1 meg bandwidth in my experience, and I would rather not punch a hole in their systems and get in trouble :S. Besides it would involve using sockscap which causes massive lag.
    Again thanks for the response :D.

FYI, Groinshot appears to be talking about Trinity Halls, not Griffith Halls.

O, -.- well that sucks lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

O, -.- well that sucks lol.

oh, sorry.
    From what I've heard of griffith halls, it's expensive (more than trinity halls), strict, and inconvienent, albeit closer to college...
    Sorry about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Jill_leavy

I have lived in Griffith Halls for the past two years and have had such a positive experience. The location is fab and you can walk to Diceys/Coppers and pretty much anywhere in the city centre (which meant so much shopping!) The rooms are clean and well maintained and they are always SO WARM. There is 24 hour security so I didn't mind staying in when my roommates were out :) I also got to share with my friends and made lots and lots of new ones. The atmosphere is great around the Halls and there are always people around (which I love). The staff are friendly and very helpful. It would be lovely to have an oven, but having no oven meant even more creative dinners (lol). The rent isn't expensive compared to other accommodation in city centre - also all bills are included :) You get to use the gym and library on Griffith campus and there is also an opportunity for the residents (even if you're not in Griffith College) to get involved with the students union. There are weekly events and activities such as movie nights and table tennis tournaments that you can get involved with. You can also park your car here which I found useful as most places in the city centre don't come with a parking spot and parking is pricey, you could also keep your bike here and it's really safe :)
    I hope this helped :)

Advertisement