Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAINTENANCE GRANT QUESTION

Options
  • 15-07-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hey, I was just filling out a maintenance grant form and it asked me about any dependants who are studying full time in college in my family.
    My brother does but he is awaiting his results to go to a masters degree. He applied for a grant like 4 years ago and is still getting it.

1. Should I put this down on my application form?
    2. How will this affect my eligibility for maintenance grant?

Comments

Well to answer question two, it'd positively effect your eligibility in that it'd raise the income levels (unless you were under them anyways) if he goes on to a masters. As with anything, you should check with the Council/VEC as to whether it should go down, but personally I'd put it down.

When's he getting his results?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

Yes you're right after reading this for hours it turns out that if I put my brother down it doesn't make a big difference the reckonable income stays the same without much change and I'm already below the reckonable income by a couple of grand.

I don't really see a reason to put down my brother now since I have to get a lot of documents which will take long time. What do you think?

OOOh he's meant to be doing a make-up exam this month and getting his results end of august.

shamoono wrote: »
    Yes you're right after reading this for hours it turns out that if I put my brother down it doesn't make a big difference the reckonable income stays the same without much change and I'm already below the reckonable income by a couple of grand.

I don't really see a reason to put down my brother now since I have to get a lot of documents which will take long time. What do you think?

OOOh he's meant to be doing a make-up exam this month and getting his results end of august.

Well, as I said I'd put it down if I was applying but it's your call really. I'm never going to give advice as to what you should do yourself (which explains why I'm skirting around the issue) as, well, potentially I could tell you something and the Council/VEC could tell you something different, so really the best people to tell you whether to put it down is the Council/VEC.

Advertisement