Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my cooler come with thermal paste pre-applied?

Options
  • 15-07-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I'm unsure if my AMD Phenom II x4 955 comes with thermal paste pre-applied. Its the stock cooler and there is no notification as to whether a 3rd party thermal paste is to be applied or it comes pre-applied any person with this processor or just "knows" if it does? The cooler when taken out of the cardboard box had a plastic covering over the area where the cooler sits on the CPU and where the paste is to be applied.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Kevinf63 wrote: »
    I'm unsure if my AMD Phenom II x4 955 comes with thermal paste pre-applied. Its the stock cooler and there is no notification as to whether a 3rd party thermal paste is to be applied or it comes pre-applied any person with this processor or just "knows" if it does? The cooler when taken out of the cardboard box had a plastic covering over the area where the cooler sits on the CPU and where the paste is to be applied.

If it is a stock AMD cooler: it should have a thin layer of paste, ditto a stock Intel.
    3rd party won't usually have pre applied paste although in some cases cheap thermal paste my be supplied with a cooler.

EDIT last time I had an anthlon chip it was an AMD64, have a look at the pictures, notice the thim layer of paste on the bottom of the cooler.
    http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=399

This is what you would expect for a stock cooler to come with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Yep, all the AMD processors out now come with some pre-applied. A friend of mine just got got a 1055T and it was on that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

so most of the amd cpus come with paste pre applied and a cooler?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

All of them do so long as they're retail-channel or "boxed" parts. If you get an OEM or "tray" CPU it won't come with squat (not even a warranty IIRC!) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 82,106 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So I dont want to buy silver 5 with my new boxed CPU?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Not unless its coming with a Scythe Mugen 2 or something... :pac: And even then some big cooling towers come with above-average-quality paste as well nowadays! :D

Advertisement