Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet fly fishing

Options
  • 15-07-2010 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭

I recently started fly fishing and had no luck with dry flys. I was wondering could I use wet flys or nymhs with a floating line or would I have to change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

you can perfectly keep your floating line. Sometimes for deep waters a sinking tip is better but not mandatory. You can correct that by using a bead head when appropriate.
    To fish nymph in a stream make sure your nymph follow a natural drift in the water so don't pull your line all the time. Make sure the end of your fly line heads up stream so you will have to do a bit of mending here and there but that way you will see the strikes better.

Strike at any strange behaviour from your line - a stop, a sudden change of direction, etc -

You will find it difficult at the beggining but it will come with experience.

Some people use a strike indicator or fluorescent leader to monitor the strikes more accurately. This is a personal thing. I personnaly prefer to learn the hard way and just rely on my instinct ... will make a better fisherman of myself in the future ( i hope :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Thanks, I'll try that next time I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

I recently started fly fishing and had no luck with dry flys. I was wondering could I use wet flys or nymhs with a floating line or would I have to change?

for at least 95% of river fishing a floating line is perfect, no need to change the line at all. as Boarhunter says fish the nymph upstream and it WILL take some practise to master.......gold head hares ear nymph is ideal and pheasant tail nymph very good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

....now let go of my hand ::D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

if you are new to fly fishing you should try the old method of 'down and across' where you just cast across the stream and let the fly be carried across by the current as you tweak/pull it in. moving downstream after each cast.but watch, the fish are more likely to see you so stay low. ''upstream nymphing''or ''czech nymphing'' is a good bit harder. ask local anglers what flies work and when. also you could try a 'poly leader' this is a metre long tapered leader that loops on the end of your flyline to aid casting. they come in floating/inter/sinking/fastsink/etc. get a fast sinking one and you can convert your floating line into a sinktip.( I always carry one in the jacket ,saves me carring around a wetline/reel .slip it on /off in a minute) ask about them in local tackle shop,'Airflow'' & ''jmc'' make them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement