Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing American RV

Options
  • 14-07-2010 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Anyone done it ?

You get so much more for your money stateside when it comes to motorhomes. I know the petrol would be a killer but if you only use it a few times a year so what.

I guess you would have to pay VAT but what about VRT. As far as I know VRT is quite small once the camper / RV is over 3.5 tonne.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Code Red wrote: »
    Anyone done it ?

You get so much more for your money stateside when it comes to motorhomes. I know the petrol would be a killer but if you only use it a few times a year so what.

I guess you would have to pay VAT but what about VRT. As far as I know VRT is quite small once the camper / RV is over 3.5 tonne.

I imported a van from Japan last year - they add the cost of the van and shipping and charge 10% duty then they add that to the cost and charge 21.5% vat

Cost = (Van + shipping) x 1.1 x 1.215 + VRT ( 50 euros if over 3 ton)

Take into account Fule + parts + selling on in a few years, would other peple want to buy a petrol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Code Red

Charging duty on the shipping is a bit of a piss take :mad:

Petrol issue doesn't bother me considering it will only get used so many times per year, and there is LPG.

Got to find some shipping quotes and see what I can afford.

Must find out what the UK charge for bringing one in, might be cheaper to ship it there pay duty and vat at 17.5% rather then 21% and then drive it over here and pay the small amount of VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Code Red

Just found this so looks like similar costs either way.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/beginner/847-importing-rv-usa-into-uk.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Code Red wrote: »
    Petrol issue doesn't bother me considering it will only get used so many times per year, and there is LPG.

It might be no problem to you but when you come to sell it you have a smaller market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

If they bring in the DOE test as planned , I doubt the Windows or lights will pass .

• Advertisement
Advertisement