Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beat and bike garda.

Options
  • 14-07-2010 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the disappearance of beat and bike garda in the area?
    Got used to them and there was certianly less hassle with teens hanging around bit haven't see them at all the last 9 months.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've seen a few cycling around Carpenterstown over the last week a couple of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭icywind1980

Sure would love to have them in Roselawn a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I've seen a few cycling around Carpenterstown over the last week a couple of times.
    The Riverwood Residents Association has been complaining to the Community Gardai in Blanchardstown for the last year or two about the lack of Garda presence in the area.

It is definitely a lot less than it used to be - the Community Gardai appear to be deployed to other tasks when needed by the 'regular' Gardai (and this seems to happen a lot).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

daymobrew wrote: »
    The Riverwood Residents Association has been complaining to the Community Gardai in Blanchardstown for the last year or two about the lack of Garda presence in the area.

I've read over their AGM minutes on the site above... the survey in it is very vague and open winded. There's also no more then 60-ish people responding to the survey.

I see them a lot of the time when ever I'm walking around. At least 3 times a week and I've been living here 2 years.

People who think that isn't enough should be trying to encourage a commuinity amongst the people they live with, instead of expecting it to be given to them.

Which is the general feeling I have about them after reading through the newsletter.

I've read over their AGM minutes on the site above... the survey in it is very vague and open winded. There's also no more then 60-ish people responding to the survey.

I see them a lot of the time when ever I'm walking around. At least 3 times a week and I've been living here 2 years.

People who think that isn't enough should be trying to encourage a commuinity amongst the people they live with, instead of expecting it to be given to them.

Which is the general feeling I have about them after reading through the newsletter.
    We called around to about 200 houses with the survey but most of them didn't bother to complete it despite us calling to people multiple times. We called around to a similar number of houses before the AGM and had an even worse turnout.

We try our best to encourage others in the estate to get involved but the apathy is frustrating. We try to lead by example e.g. I pick up litter, grease the swings, fix the tennis court nets, re-erect fallen road signs.

It is good to hear that you are seeing the Gardai in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

less recruitment and increased retirements mean less on the street...thanks fianna fail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

daymobrew wrote: »
    We called around to about 200 houses with the survey but most of them didn't bother to complete it despite us calling to people multiple times. We called around to a similar number of houses before the AGM and had an even worse turnout.

We try our best to encourage others in the estate to get involved but the apathy is frustrating. We try to lead by example e.g. I pick up litter, grease the swings, fix the tennis court nets, re-erect fallen road signs.

It is good to hear that you are seeing the Gardai in the area.

Wow! Fair play to you! That is some amount of rubbish you have picked up.

I generally just pick up rubbish that is on the path outside my house and also any rubbish that is on the large green space in front of my house - I never pick up when i am out walking purely becuase i don't generally have a bag with me to carry rubbish - but this may change due to your inspirational photos.

Wow! Fair play to you! That is some amount of rubbish you have picked up.
    Thanks. My son's trike bucket helped. He's 2 1/2 and loves picking up rubbish.
    I generally just pick up rubbish that is on the path outside my house and also any rubbish that is on the large green space in front of my house
    Just! That is a million times more than most.

Now that the green space beside the playground has a bin (that took about 3 years to get it out of FCC) I just put the stuff into it or the one beside the pedestrian lights (between Riverwood and Woodbrook) and don't photograph it.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

I think that's terribly unfair tbh I'm not a member myself so I have no agenda other than to say I'm aware of the effort put in and certainly Riverwood would be a poorer place without it.

Advertisement